Music in your head

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
retrofuturist

Music in your head

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

If when sitting in meditation, you find that you've got some "music in your head" and it keeps coming back, what would be an appropriate response? Would the response differ according to the type of meditation that you were partaking in at the time?

It occurred to me that a recurring auditory remembrance is probably similar to a recurring visual rememberance or mental image. What approach would you recommend for a recurring mental image? Would this be transferable to a mental 'sound'?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Re: Music in your head

Post by tiltbillings »

Be mindful. Mindfully acknowledge it, then go back to your usual object. Be mindful of the irritation or the pleasure of this music. Keep it light. Just gently touch it with your mindfulness, and be very thankful it is not this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsjJ8gTr_vA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, don't play this song in the link or it will stick in your head. It is an earworm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Fede

Post by Fede »

tiltbillings you are devious.... such is the curiosity of many they will find your links irresistible. Like telling people, on no account to ever think of a red Polar bear..... :cookoo:

( I haven't looked at them.**)

Retro, I agree. Music is far more insidious. I believe because music is melodious and can adhere, like treacle, to our own personal mental brain-waves... it moves in synchronicity and shifting it is hard work.

That, by the way is pure conjecture. I have no idea whether that is accurate or not. But I've not found anyone medical or scientific to disprove it.
Maybe you could incorporate it into your meditation, and focus on one instrument's inclusion and contribution...Listen to that instrument above the others.
or when you finish meditating, listen to a completely different piece of music... soothing classical, if it's hard rock in your head.....

:shrug:

Good luck with that!!

(**Yet.....)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro
My suggestion is to cut your head off. It may seem a bit extreme, but it does eliminate a number of other annoyances in one go, not least of which, the ability to loose 10kg of weight instantaneously!

Seriously, go with Tilt's advice. In the words of SN Goenka...Just observe, just observe!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

( I haven't looked at them.**)
Actually, the earworm site is worth looking. It is a wiki site, just words, no annoying tumes to get stuck in your head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For years I had this one in my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9d7rSf ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now it is either this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8NRseW ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGp0hCxSg98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Oh no, it worked :shock:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Oh no, it worked
You were warned.

vitellius

Post by vitellius »

There are basically two ways to work with this - samatha and vipassana :)

With samatha you are collecting entire mind to observe one object, noticing distractions but not paying attention to them, and at one point you find out that piece of attention that was stick to "playing music" is unsticking.

With vipassana you explore this inner music player and your reactions connected with the "player", experiment with it, gradually find out how it works and "relax" this process.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We are what we ingest. The less music we feed on, the less turns up in our mind-stream during meditation. It's a good strategy that aids our practice until we're accomplished enough to work effectively with whatever arises as we sit.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

generally when this happens to me it is either early on in the formal sitting, or boardom if it commes up after a while.
if it doesn't stop by itself, during the initial stages when I am calming my mind, and extra focus on the breath doesn't help, I usually, try to use it as a starting point for insight practice, fortunately this doesn't happen often but if it doesnt go and is just too distracting then I just watch the mind tick away as it wants to, or focus on the metta sutta (short and easy to remember).
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

During one sitting of a seven day retreat, I had a sex fantasy about a woman also attending the retreat. It went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. No amount of disciplined chit-chat could head it off. Finally I just gave in and let 'er rip. On and on and on and on and on it went, until, towards the end of the sitting I realized it was a loop tape ... there were only so many erotic throughts I could muster. I got bored. No need to arm-wrestle anything. I got bored ....

And went back to practice
Fede

Post by Fede »

Two more for your delectation and delight....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbUQUut_xgw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeswZaReE0I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two things:

One: I didn't start this thread.

Two: It's rude to call me names. :tongue:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Genkaku,
genkaku wrote:During one sitting of a seven day retreat, I had a sex fantasy about a woman also attending the retreat. It went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. No amount of disciplined chit-chat could head it off. Finally I just gave in and let 'er rip. On and on and on and on and on it went, until, towards the end of the sitting I realized it was a loop tape ... there were only so many erotic throughts I could muster. I got bored. No need to arm-wrestle anything. I got bored ....

And went back to practice
How many of the seven days got 'lost' this way? :tongue:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hi Retro,

I get music in my head all the time when I go on retreat. Sometimes music that I don't even like. I suppose you could, as pink suggests, minimize it by listening to less music before the retreat, but I think it will still come back.

I've nothing to add to the advice already given. But I liken it to being in a very quiet and suddenly hearing the incessant ticking of the clock. Depending on how one observes the ticking, it can either drive you nuts or it can become background noise--it's just there, neither annoying nor pleasing.
With metta,
zavk
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Retro,

I have this issue big time. In my youth, I used to work at remembering and mentally playing back my favorite songs. Now, I have a real challenge to turn it off. I'm very conscious of not "making an issue of it" and lately have actually found it to be a helpful indicator during practice -- when I notice the music playing, I remember I've lost my concentration. I actually think it's helpful for me at this stage!

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai