Wings to awakening puts children to sleep

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Mawkish1983

Re: Wings to awakening puts children to sleep

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Ben wrote:However academic the students are, I think it would be a rare student who would find a sutta reading or the reading of a scholarly work on the Dhamma of interest.
I found that out the hard way. If the opportunity re-arises, may I ask your advice Ben?
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:What are the ages of the children?
From 11 to 18. It's a very academic school and the pupils are generally well read.
I'd go for "Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung?" from Ajahn Brahm. Gives people quite a couple of good laughs and provides a good load of profound wisdom. You may just want to pick people up from where they are. I think Similes and stories one can easily imagine work very well for children and teenagers.
Ben wrote:Every year I give a talk to our Year 10 students at the Christian school where I work. I've got a standing invitation from the school Chaplain to talk to the 16-year-olds about Buddhism. The theme is "death and dying" and fits in with a personal development unit that looks at how different religions approach death and dying. Although its also an academic school, I am very careful with how I present the Dhamma and focus on stories from the canon and the messages within those stories. One year I focused on the story of the Bodhisatta before his enlightenment and last year I focused on the story of Kisagotami. However academic the students are, I think it would be a rare student who would find a sutta reading or the reading of a scholarly work on the Dhamma of interest.
kind regards,
Great! you must be doing really well if you've got a standing invitation :smile: Any insight what you find most important for talking to younger and non-buddhist audiences about Buddhism Ben? :smile:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Actually these suggestions could turn out to be very helpful indeed. I've been asked to supervise a 'Buddhist society' at the school. There is already a Christian Union, a Muslim Society and a Hindu and Sikh Society. A couple of the boys (it's an all-boys school) have approached me and asked if I would supervise their Buddhist Society. I know one of the boy's parents come from Sri Lanka because have have discussed some of the cultural aspects of his practice in the past. I am not sure how much demand there is for a Buddhist society at the school, but in order to be inclusive I will likely have to brush up on my Mahayana texts.

(Context for those who don't know, I'm a physics teacher at a prestigious single-sex (boys) grammar school).

It's likely I'll avoid in-depth study of the Satipatthana Sutta (a la Analayo), so advice about specific texts that might be worth using would be really appreciated, as would any references to any child-friendly (?) guided meditations.

Thanks in advance.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Mawkish1983 wrote:as would any references to any child-friendly (?) guided meditations.
A live Punabhava cover of Malcolm Huxter's metta meditation (as originally heard on Buddhanet) might be the go.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

so advice about specific texts that might be worth using would be really appreciated, as would any references to any child-friendly (?) guided meditations.

Hi Mawkish,

There's a Buddhist Studies section for secondary schools as well as other resources at Buddhanet which might be useful for you to browse.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/index.htm

It includes a meditation class http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/medclass/index.htm

with kind wishes

Aloka
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Hi Mawk

The Triratana Buddhist Community are big on educational matters. I'm sure you've probably come across this before

http://www.clear-vision.org/Home/About-Us/Donate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They would be more than happy to provide any guidance you need, I've no doubt. And their centre in Manchester is very pleasant :smile:

Good luck to you

:anjali:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

retrofuturist wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:as would any references to any child-friendly (?) guided meditations.
A live Punabhava cover of Malcolm Huxter's metta meditation (as originally heard on Buddhanet) might be the go.
Ah yes :). I've got a copy of the guided metta meditation you're talking about. It might be worth me following it myself a few times so I can try to do the 'live cover'. Thank you.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Aloka wrote:There's a Buddhist Studies section for secondary schools as well as other resources at Buddhanet which might be useful for you to browse.
Brilliant, thank you.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

imagemarie wrote:The Triratana Buddhist Community are big on educational matters. I'm sure you've probably come across this before...
Ah yes, I encountered that a few years ago. Thank you for the reminder!
imagemarie wrote:their centre in Manchester is very pleasant
Yes it has a good feel to the place. I was there a couple of weeks ago making use of their shrine room.