"Mindfulness In Plain English" by Ven Henepola Gunaratana

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
retrofuturist

"Mindfulness In Plain English" by Ven Henepola Gunaratana

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I was wondering who has read "Mindfulness In Plain English" by Ven Henepola Gunaratana, and what they thought of it?

Online PDF version
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfuln ... nglish.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reviews by Amazon members
http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Plain ... 0861710649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Tex

Re: "Mindfulness In Plain English" by Ven Henepola Gunaratana

Post by Tex »

Read it twice and will again. If you get the revised edition it has an additional chapter on metta, about twenty pages, at the end.

I also recently picked up his Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness and am looking forward to it.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Excellent book, straight to the point, to the nuts-and-bolts of practice. I highly recommend it. 88 five star ratings out of 99 total ratings at Amazon.com.
Nadi

Post by Nadi »

Read it a few years ago and loved it. It was an easy read, and was very informative.
With Metta,
Nadi
zavk

Post by zavk »

It's a great book--certainly one to recommend to those just learning about meditation and Buddhism.

I think what makes it so popular is Ven. Gunaratana's delivery. His sincerity, humility and gentleness really comes across in his writing.
With metta,
zavk
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

have it, never read it... in fact have 2 books by him i've never read... :shrug:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

It is one of the best - clear and direct, in plain English. I recommend it frequently.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
bodom

Post by bodom »

There is NO better introduction to vipassana than this book. It was also my introduction to Theravada Buddhism.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

It was one of the first books I read, probably only a couple of weeks at most after I started seriously studying. I have to say that I think I would have gotten more out of it had I been practicing a bit longer as I had to frequently re-read sections. In the end, I think I arrived at an intellectual understanding, but not a real understanding. It's on my list to read again now that I've got a few months behind me. I strongly suspect it will be much more meaningful the second time around.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai