I'm so depressed

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
greggorious

I'm so depressed

Post by greggorious »

I feel so depressed right now. I'm diagnosed as having major depression and generalised anxiety disorder. I wanted to take up Buddhism cos I thought it might help me, but the more I read up on Buddhism the worse I feel. All the stories of being trapped in hell realms, animal realms, hungry ghost realms is making me feel so depressed.
If feels like the cycle will never end for me. I came into the life unhappy and I'm gonna go into my next life even more unhappy.
:cry:
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
DNS
Site Admin

Re: I'm so depressed

Post by DNS »

1. Talk with a / your therapist.
2. Eat right. (I have heard non-nutritious foods can trigger hormonal changes / depression)
3. Exercise. (has been shown to improve emotional well-being)
4. Try walking meditation. (I have heard walking is usually better than sitting for those suffering from depression.)
5. Metta meditation.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi greggorious,

In addition to David's excellent advice, I would advise that if you want to get more into Buddhism you should search out a local group. The companionship is invaluable and you are very unlikely to find real-life Buddhists spending much time on "stories of being trapped in hell realms, animal realms, hungry ghost realms".

Be Well!

:anjali:
Mike
perkele

Post by perkele »

Theoretical discussions about Buddhism on online forums can easily contribute to depression.

Try the following:
1) Order a pizza.
2) Say thank you to the delivery guy and give him a tip.
3) Eat the pizza.
4) If a hungry ghost is harassing you, give him a piece of pizza.
5) Wash the dishes.
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Do you think I should give Dhammawheel a rest for a while, just practice?
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
reflection

Post by reflection »

Maybe watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N_jjY7W_fs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Reflection
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Greg,
Certainly continue with the practice. Keep it simple -
sila,
samadhi
panna

On top of that I agree with what has been said above particularly by David and Mike. You need to see a therapist (if you are not already doing so).
Major depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and may require medical treatment as well as cognitive therapy.
Also keep in mind that while you may feel alone - you are not Robinson Caruso. Depression is extremely common and there are very many Buddhists who also suffer from major depression.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

greggorious wrote:I feel so depressed right now. I'm diagnosed as having major depression and generalised anxiety disorder. I wanted to take up Buddhism cos I thought it might help me, but the more I read up on Buddhism the worse I feel. All the stories of being trapped in hell realms, animal realms, hungry ghost realms is making me feel so depressed.
If feels like the cycle will never end for me. I came into the life unhappy and I'm gonna go into my next life even more unhappy.
Hi Greg,

Just relax for a little while.

Kevin
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

greggorious wrote:I feel so depressed right now. I'm diagnosed as having major depression and generalised anxiety disorder. I wanted to take up Buddhism cos I thought it might help me, but the more I read up on Buddhism the worse I feel. All the stories of being trapped in hell realms, animal realms, hungry ghost realms is making me feel so depressed.
Hi greg,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. In addition to the other advice you've received, I would suggest that maybe you could find simple ways of helping to relax body and mind a little - maybe go for a stroll and have a relaxing bath afterwards, or go for a massage with a qualified complementary therapist. As for worrying about other realms or lives, this is the one you're living at the moment ....so gently let go of those negative thoughts to be fully present in the here and now.

with kind wishes,

Aloka
perkele

Post by perkele »

greggorious wrote:Do you think I should give Dhammawheel a rest for a while, just practice?
I guess you're addressing me here since I said discussing theoretically about Buddhism on online forums can contribute to depression.

I'm just a hypocrite sitting in front of the computer all day and spending way too much time here, and I'm hardly able to just sit and focus on my breath for even a minute. So I'm in no real position to give you practical advice with regards to practice.
But I would say if you know how to practice even a tiny bit that would probably be a great thing to do. But this is hardly the place to learn it.
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Thanks for the link reflection. I love Ajahn Brahm, he's so quirky, yet full of compassion. He's also from North London, like me :)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Greg,

This is a good book, it may be of assistance.

The Zen Path Through Depression - Philip Martin
http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Path-Through- ... 0060654457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

greggorious wrote:Do you think I should give Dhammawheel a rest for a while, just practice?
Dhammawheel is part of the practice.
David N. Snyder wrote:1. Talk with a / your therapist.
2. Eat right. (I have heard non-nutritious foods can trigger hormonal changes / depression)
3. Exercise. (has been shown to improve emotional well-being)
4. Try walking meditation. (I have heard walking is usually better than sitting for those suffering from depression.)
5. Metta meditation.
:goodpost:

Take care,
Alobha
reflection

Post by reflection »

greggorious wrote:Thanks for the link reflection. I love Ajahn Brahm, he's so quirky, yet full of compassion. He's also from North London, like me :)
You're welcome. I love him too. His talks are always very practical as well.

As he probably also mentiones, don't focus on the negative parts of your life. Don't focus only on the depression. Instead remember that life also has many beautiful things. Enjoy the morning, the sun, the people you're with, each breath etc.

I hope you can loose the depression quickly. It will not last forever.

With metta,
Reflection
farmer

Post by farmer »

Practicing dana can be a great way to brighten up a gloomy mind, and there are always opportunities for dana near at hand. You could do something as simple as taking a crust of bread outside to feed the birds.

"I tell you, Vaccha, even if a person throws the rinsings of a bowl or a cup into a village pool or pond, thinking, 'May whatever animals live here feed on this,' that would be a source of merit, to say nothing of what is given to human beings. "

Here an excerpt from Thanissaro Bikkhu's lovely essay on the role of dana as a foundation for the path:
Over in Thailand, children's first exposure to Buddhism, after they've learned the gesture of respect, is in giving. You see parents taking their children by the hand as a monk comes past on his alms round, lifting them up, and helping them put a spoonful of rice into the monk's bowl. Over time, as the children start doing it themselves, the process becomes less and less mechanical, and after a while they begin to take pleasure in giving.

At first this pleasure may seem counterintuitive. The idea that you gain happiness by giving things away doesn't come automatically to a young child's mind. But with practice you find that it's true. After all, when you give, you put yourself in a position of wealth. The gift is proof that you have more than enough. At the same time it gives you a sense of your worth as a person. You're able to help other people. The act of giving also creates a sense of spaciousness in the mind, because the world we live in is created by our actions, and the act of giving creates a spacious world: a world where generosity is an operating principle, a world where people have more than enough, enough to share. And it creates a good feeling in the mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... generosity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;