2012 Summer online e-course with Bhikkhu Analayo

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
starter

Post by starter »

Readings in the Madhyama-āgama

An e-learning online course by Bhikkhu Anālayo will be offered through the Center for Buddhist Studies, University of Hamburg and co-hosted by the Sati Institute for Theravāda Studies, affiliated with the Institute for Buddhist Studies, Berkeley.

The online registration for the course will be available through the University of Hamburg, beginning on the 1st of March and ending on the 15th of April. The course starts on May 3, 2012. You should sign up to audit the course through the University of Hamburg for no credit. If you wish to receive credit through the Sati Institute and the Institute of Buddhist Studies, you must register this course as independent study – please contact Nona Olivia at [email protected] to arrange this.

The course is open for free participation after online registration (between Mar. 1 and Apr. 15) at the University of Hamburg website (see link below). Please click on the link below for course details, dates, and syllabus:
Summer semester 2012: The Arahant and the Four Truths in Early Buddhist Discourse

You can receive credit for this course through the Sati Institute and IBS through independent study. Please contact Nona Olivia at [email protected] to arrange this.
Ben

Re: 2012 Summer online e-course with Bhikkhu Analayo

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Starter!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

What form does it take exactly? Is it mostly self-study or are there fixed times when everyone is online?
Please click on the link below for course details, dates, and syllabus:
I'm not seeing a link here ;)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
starter

Post by starter »

Hi my pleasure to be of help. I personally don't plan to attend the course since I can read the agama in Chinese, so I don't have more info about it. Please visit the website of Sati Center for Buddhist Studies for more information: http://www.sati.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy new year to all!

Starter
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Thank you :)
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

A suggestion for those who intend to sign up.

Pls invest in a copy of Ven Analayo's "A Comparative Study of the Majjhima Nikaya". It studies the Pali MN against nearly all of its suttas' attested parallels in Chinese, Tibetan, Sanskrit and several Prakrits. A great deal of the parallels are in the Chinese Madhyama-agama, so his book would be a great way to introduce yourself to the Chinese MA, pending his translation of the MA (due to be released this year).

A very frightening and hair-raising work, indeed, softened at times with interesting diversions such as Xerxes and Leonidas popping into a Brahmana-vagga analysis...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sylvester wrote:A suggestion for those who intend to sign up.

Pls invest in a copy of Ven Analayo's "A Comparative Study of the Majjhima Nikaya". It studies the Pali MN against nearly all of its suttas' attested parallels in Chinese, Tibetan, Sanskrit and several Prakrits. A great deal of the parallels are in the Chinese Madhyama-agama, so his book would be a great way to introduce yourself to the Chinese MA, pending his translation of the MA (due to be released this year).

A very frightening and hair-raising work, indeed, softened at times with interesting diversions such as Xerxes and Leonidas popping into a Brahmana-vagga analysis...
Where can this be purchased?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I bought mine online directly from the publisher Dharma Drum Buddhist College, via this address -

[email protected]

They sent me a link to the page -

http://www.ddc.com.tw/PrtShow.asp?Serie ... ommId=4152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be prepared for endless loops navigating their Chinese-only site, and being addressed as "Bodhisattva". You might try pleading with them for instructions in English...

After registration and ordering, their payment page needs to have the "Encoding" under the "View" tab to be altered to show up the credit card options in a legible form.

It's the Venerable's good kamma that he had so many scholars offering him unpublished transcripts of so many Sanskrit fragments, things that only get tantalisingly named as this collection or that collection in auctions or museum catalogues. It appears that the only texts that he did not translate himself were Tochanese, Uigher and Khotanese...
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Sylvester wrote:After registration and ordering, their payment page needs to have the "Encoding" under the "View" tab to be altered to show up the credit card options in a legible form.
They don't use UTF-8 but some localized codepage I presume? Image

EDIT

I now realize that the smiley isn't quite wholesome. My apologies.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I see the 2012 course has started and am wondering when the talks will be available or where they are available to listen to?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

The copy I asked the nearest university to order for their library arrived yesterday; two volumes, nicely sized, nice paper, floppy and weighty.

:reading:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Ben

Post by Ben »

daverupa wrote:The copy I asked the nearest university to order for their library arrived yesterday; two volumes, nicely sized, nice paper, floppy and weighty.

Do let us know how you get on with it, Dave.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Ben wrote:
daverupa wrote:The copy I asked the nearest university to order for their library arrived yesterday; two volumes, nicely sized, nice paper, floppy and weighty.

Do let us know how you get on with it, Dave.
I wasn't able to find a discussion of the work here on the site; tilt, did you ever get a copy? Anyone else?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Ven Analayo's "A Comparative Study of the Majjhima Nikaya" can be purchased at -

http://www.bibliaimpex.com/index.php?p= ... 7511182282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;