The obligatory Dhamma themed movie thread

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
danieLion

Re: Movie Talk

Post by danieLion »

Hi Jason,
I like those kind of movies.

Your description reminded me of another movie I loved called Blindness with Julieanne Moore. It was based on a Pulitzer or Nobel prize winning novel by the same name.

D :heart:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

A bit of off topic, but I think the Nobel winning novel was another one by the same writer, José Saramago. The name in english is "Baltasar and Blimunda". I searched wikipedia and the Nobel Prize page, but they don't confirm what I'm saying.

He and Egas Moniz are the only Nobel prize winners of my country.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Modus.Ponens wrote:A bit of off topic, but I think the Nobel winning novel was another one by the same writer, José Saramago. The name in english is "Baltasar and Blimunda". I searched wikipedia and the Nobel Prize page, but they don't confirm what I'm saying.

He and Egas Moniz are the only Nobel prize winners of my country.
You're right. According to Wikipedia, Saramago won the Pulitzer for The Guardian. Didn't know he was an anarcho-communist though.
D :heart:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Fede wrote:I watched true Grit with Jeff Bridges, and The King's Speech with Colin Firth and Geoffrey rush.
The former is very faithful to the original with John Wayne, save for the last scene.

the latter - The king's Speech - is to my mind, matchless, and what true, british film-making is all about.
Quality without the shmalz.

If my good American friends will forgive me, there is - or certainly has been, up to the recent past - a tendency to try to go for the happy, righteous ending....
for example, I have heard - from those who have seen the original films in Swedish, and the more recent English version - that 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is very tailored to American audiences in its presentation.
But having seen neither, I cannot vouch for this.
However, as this specific film was discussed on a Buddhist forum, I cannot imagine they were being dishonest in their appraisal and verdict.....
Hi, folks,
I also liked The King's Speech very much.
I saw the original Dragon Tattoo movies months ago after reading the books. They matched up very well in mood and content, and I don't think the US versions will be as faithful in either way. That said, they are a long way from 'Buddhist' - violence growing from hatred, etc - and I don't think they will help anyone towards equanimity, let alone nibbana.
Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris was much more relaxed, of course, and I enjoyed it though I found it a bit simple-minded and sugary.
The ABC, our national TV service, screened Terry Pratchett's Going Postal on the two Saturday evenings before Christmas and it was excellent - even better than the book.
Speaking of filmed fantasy books, I saw Gaiman's Neverwhere, a book turned into a TV series and now out on DVD, during the year. It's fairly gruesome, but unreservedly recommended.

:namaste:
Kim
Buckwheat

Re: buddhist movies

Post by Buckwheat »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Image
Walking meditation.... HAHAHAHAHAHA.... and the sequel: :meditate:

Thanks, bhante. :anjali:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

As far as actually addressing Buddhist issues I think that
Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East?: A Zen Fable http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097195/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is truly excellent. Not so easy to watch as Samsara, or Spring ...since there's little action, no sex, no attempt at being entertaining, but it's well worth the effort.
Yes, this is an excellent film. Unfortunately just after leaving the theatre, at the Pacific Cinematheque in Vancouver, in the mid-90s, just as I turned the corner from the theatre, a young man named Damien Costello (or Damian Costello) landed almost at my feet directly in front of me, from a height of twenty stories or more.

:candle:

This documentary called Blue Collar and Buddha sounds very interesting but I haven't been able to find it yet. It looks at the experiences of a group of Laotian refugees trying to re-settle in the American rust belt. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472513/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

rowboat wrote:Yes, this is an excellent film. Unfortunately just after leaving the theatre, at the Pacific Cinematheque in Vancouver, in the mid-90s, just as I turned the corner from the theatre, a young man named Damien Costello (or Damian Costello) landed almost at my feet directly in front of me, from a height of twenty stories or more.

:candle:
Oh my, how unfortunate. What a crazy and challenging experience.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Buckwheat wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Image
Walking meditation.... HAHAHAHAHAHA.... and the sequel: :meditate:

Thanks, bhante. :anjali:
:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
chownah

Post by chownah »

So far this year I have only watched one movie...it was Quinn's clay animation "The Adventures of Clayman Pt1". Mr. Quinn was careful in not letting the epic scope of the subject turn his work into a quagmire of complexly related but unneccessary detail....and in keeping with his minimal treatment he did not use sensational special effects nor spectacular cinematics which would have only detract from the tight focus on the essential quality of his work. The pace is appropriately even throughout and Mr. Quinn is masterfuf in his ability to not let the excitement of the plot development seduce him into a dash to the finish which would have only diminished the final statement which is very clearly "there is more to come". Kudos to Mr. Quinn and with such success on first attempt I'm sure that we are all sitting on the edge of our seat in anticipation of Pt2!!!

The uncut version of this work can be found here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr. Quinn can be contacted at Dhamma Wheel for permission to download for personal use only and for submitting proposals for showing at commercial houses.

chownah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim O'Hara wrote: I saw Gaiman's Neverwhere, a book turned into a TV series and now out on DVD, during the year.
Actually, I do believe it was the other way around. And it is very good both as a video and as a book.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Quinn

Post by Quinn »

chownah wrote:So far this year I have only watched one movie...it was Quinn's clay animation "The Adventures of Clayman Pt1". Mr. Quinn was careful in not letting the epic scope of the subject turn his work into a quagmire of complexly related but unneccessary detail....and in keeping with his minimal treatment he did not use sensational special effects nor spectacular cinematics which would have only detract from the tight focus on the essential quality of his work. The pace is appropriately even throughout and Mr. Quinn is masterfuf in his ability to not let the excitement of the plot development seduce him into a dash to the finish which would have only diminished the final statement which is very clearly "there is more to come". Kudos to Mr. Quinn and with such success on first attempt I'm sure that we are all sitting on the edge of our seat in anticipation of Pt2!!!

The uncut version of this work can be found here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr. Quinn can be contacted at Dhamma Wheel for permission to download for personal use only and for submitting proposals for showing at commercial houses.

chownah
Thank you very much, chownah!
and yes there will be pt:2 coming soon!
May the power of the Buddha be with you!!!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Chownah, you have made Quinn's day!

Kim:
I haven't seen the King's Speech but I watched a documentary on the George VI's speech impediment and his speech therapist. It was excellent.
I also watched the first part of Pratchett's "Going Postal" - didn't get around to watching Part 2 due to social function on Christmas Eve. I haven't checked but I think Part 2 got recorded and is in the black box under the TV.

The stand out viewing experience was when I watched "District 9" with my son at home. It would have to rate as one of the worst science fiction movies of all time. I persevered until his computer overheated (4/5 of the way through) which I think was probably a self-protection mechanism by the computer because the movie was so baaaad! My 16-year-old son loved it and we had a good time sitting, watching it and talking about it.

Apart from that I have been enjoying some reruns of trashy US programs on late night TV and the second series of "Lie to Me" is good.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

tiltbillings wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote: I saw Gaiman's Neverwhere, a book turned into a TV series and now out on DVD, during the year.
Actually, I do believe it was the other way around. And it is very good both as a video and as a book.
Your first statement could well be right and I agree totally with your second. :toast:
You can get Coraline in three forms - book, graphic novel and movie and they are all good too.

If you haven't seen his Mirrormask you should probably seek it out because I think you will enjoy it.

Kim
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

befriend wrote:hello, are there any good buddhist movies besides the hollywood buddhist movies like seven years in tibet. ive seen spring summer fall winter spring or whatever it is i forgot what its like. any recommedations? that are theravadan? metta, befriend
Google to the rescue:
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Movies-o ... 5JBCEG8ZSV
I have seen, and recommend, 4 and 6 on the list.

http://paramita.typepad.com/dharma_fore ... uddhi.html
Groundhog Day? :thinking:

http://www.imdb.com/list/Y0OyMPZ7Rvs/
A longer list than the first one, with quite a lot of overlap and a fw movies I wouldn't have included.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/129 ... -buddhism/
A discussion like this one, with a lot more movies, mostly not Hollywood.

http://www.buddhistfilmfoundation.org/f ... uaranteed/
And this one looks good too.

Have fun!

Kim
Ytrog

Re: The obligatory Dhamma themed movie thread

Post by Ytrog »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Google to the rescue:
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Movies-o ... 5JBCEG8ZSV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have seen, and recommend, 4 and 6 on the list.
I remember those. Almost forgot about them. Thank you :D
Maybe they see it as symbolizing samsara: You repeat it over and over again until you get it right (attain Nibbana). :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.