Ajahn Chah lineage?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Lombardi4

Ajahn Chah lineage?

Post by Lombardi4 »

I would like to know Ajahn Chah's lineage of teachers going back to as many generations of teachers as possible.

So far, after my very brief search I have found just two:

Ajahn Chah < Ajahn Mun < Ajahn Sao

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks.
daverupa

Re: Ajahn Chah lineage?

Post by daverupa »

Prince Mongkut was a bhikkhu from 1824 to 1851, and started the Dhammayuttika Nikaya as a reform movement in 1833 (which was officially recognized in 1902). Ajahn Sao was born in 1861, but I'm not sure when he ordained. The earliest would be 1880, while Ajahn Mun was ordained in 1893 and Ajahn Chah in 1939.

Given all this, it seems you'd only really need one or two more names; prior that that, the Dhammayuttika Nikaya didn't exist.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

daverupa wrote:Prince Mongkut was a bhikkhu from 1824 to 1851, and started the Dhammayuttika Nikaya as a reform movement in 1833 (which was officially recognized in 1902). Ajahn Sao was born in 1861, but I'm not sure when he ordained. The earliest would be 1880, while Ajahn Mun was ordained in 1893 and Ajahn Chah in 1939.

Given all this, it seems you'd only really need one or two more names; prior that that, the Dhammayuttika Nikaya didn't exist.
Thank you very much for the info! Could I ask for your source?
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I don't think Ajahn Chah had a lineage of teachers as such. I would say his lineage was Dhamma Vinaya and he was influenced by a number of teachers and events.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

You can listen to a biography of Ajahn Chah here: http://www.ajahnchah.org/videos.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:anjali:
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Stefan wrote:
daverupa wrote:Prince Mongkut was a bhikkhu from 1824 to 1851, and started the Dhammayuttika Nikaya as a reform movement in 1833 (which was officially recognized in 1902). Ajahn Sao was born in 1861, but I'm not sure when he ordained. The earliest would be 1880, while Ajahn Mun was ordained in 1893 and Ajahn Chah in 1939.

Thank you very much for the info! Could I ask for your source?
The wiki articles on these individuals, in fact. They seem to correlate with the facts which can be found through other sources, including their biographies.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

Otsom

Post by Otsom »

Last edited by Otsom on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

The OP aside, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ajahn Chah was Mahanikaya....
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

appicchato wrote:
The OP aside, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ajahn Chah was Mahanikaya....
I think you're correct; yet Ajahn Mun and Ajahn Sao were Dhammayuttika Nikaya. Sounds like this lineage question must be pursued in an altogether different direction...

bodom

Post by bodom »

Biography of Ajahn Chah
http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/About_Ajahn_Chah.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video Series: Biography of Ajahn Chah
http://www.ajahnchah.org/videos.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Stefan wrote:Ajahn Chah < Ajahn Mun < Ajahn Sao.
Ajahn Chah himself says in the book Food for the Heart that he only spent 3 days with Ajahn Mun, after this he went off on tudong for 7 years on his own.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

There could be two different 'lineages" - ordination lineage and teacher/disciple lineage (in the broad sense).

Achan Chah was of a completely separate ordination lineage to Achan Mun because they belonged to different nikaya.
-----------------------
Bankei
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

That shows quite clearly that formal lineages are sometimes of lesser importance than being inspired through the even shortest meeting with a impressive personality.

Lineages are born quite often I guess. Sometimes disciples focus on their very own teacher and claim to be in a very new lineage of their own.

Sometimes I find this quite irritating, disciples focus so much on their teacher that he seems to get even more important than the Dhamma or the Buddha. Guru cults are dangerous.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Can we say that Ajhan Mun plant the seed in Ajahn Chah ? If we can say that, so we can also say that he was his teacher.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

It all requires the arising of a tathagata in the world, in our case the Buddha.

AN 5.88 is noteworthy in this connection, as there we can read that a popular monk with many followers - a celebrity monk, if you like - can still have wrong view.