Saṅkhāradukkhatā - Suffering due to Volitional Formations

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Viscid

Saṅkhāradukkhatā - Suffering due to Volitional Formations

Post by Viscid »

From the Dukkha Sutta:
On one occasion Ven. Sariputta was staying in Magadha in Nalaka Village. Then Jambukhadika the wanderer went to Ven. Sariputta and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with him. After this exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to Ven. Sariputta: "'Stress, stress,' it is said, my friend Sariputta. Which type of stress [are they referring to]?"

"There are these three forms of stressfulness, my friend: the stressfulness of pain, the stressfulness of fabrication, the stressfulness of change. These are the three forms of stressfulness."
( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

'Stressfulness of pain' and 'Stressfulness of change' are both fairly straight-forward in terms of why they should be considered forms of suffering. However, why do Saṅkhāras cause suffering? Also, since we are always in the process of creating or experiencing some conditioned thing, is there a persistent suffering that always accompanies our experience?
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
chownah

Re: Saṅkhāradukkhatā - Suffering due to Volitional Formations

Post by chownah »

I think of the suffering due to volition this way:
I love children...I really do....it is very easy for me to lose all sense of propriety if I see a baby and will immediately start saying goo goo smile gaa gaa...etc. If I see a small toddler walking around exploring the world I have a strong urge to show them a flower or a worm so that I can share in their delight....I love children...........but when I'm wanting to meditate....and the children come to me to play...then they are a nuisance....they are a beautiful nuisance...a wonderful nuisance....but they induce the stress of distracing me from the deeper wonder of meditation.
Volitions are like children...they can be very nice but ultimately they distract one from what is even nicer still and so they are suffering....
chownah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

For what it's worth, I don't think the three categories denoted are necessarily mutually exclusive, especially when you consider that the Buddha advised in SN 55.3 to "Remain focused on inconstancy in all fabrications, percipient of stress in what is inconstant..."

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
santa100

Post by santa100 »

According to the definition of sankhara from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%E1%B9%85kh%C4%81ra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :

"saṅkhāra-khandha is understood to be that which propels human (and other sentient) beings along the process of becoming (bhava) by means of actions of body and speech (kamma).[9] The Buddha stated that all volitional constructs are conditioned by ignorance (avijja) of the reality (sacca) behind appearance.[10] It is this ignorance that ultimately causes human suffering (dukkha). The calming of all such fabrications (sabba-saṅkhāra-nirodha) is synonymous with Enlightenment (bodhi), the achieving of arahantship."
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,

According to tradition, here, saṅkhāra doesn't mean volitional formation (i.e. intention, cetanā), but has different, more general meaning. As Buddhaghosa puts it in his Visuddhimagga:
  • Herein, bodily and mental, painful feeling are called intrinsic suffering (dukkha-dukkha) because of their individual essence, their name, and their painfulness. [Bodily and mental] pleasant feeling are called suffering in change (vipariṇāma) because they are a cause for the arising of pain when they change (M I 303). Equanimous feeling and the remaining formations of the three planes are called suffering due to formations (saṅkhāra-dukkha) because they are oppressed by rise and fall.

Path of Purification, 2011, p. 511
Last edited by piotr on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

In the context of the first noble truth, dukkha encompasses the following:

The unsatisfactoriness of pain (dukkhadukkhatā):
  • birth (jāti)
  • aging (jarā)
  • illness (byādhi)
  • death (maraṇa)
  • sorrow (soka)
  • lamentation (parideva)
  • pain (dukkha)
  • unhappiness (domanassa)
  • despair (upāyāsā)
The unsatisfactoriness of change (vipariṇāmadukkhatā):
  • association with what is unpleasant (appiyehi sampayogo)
  • separation from what is pleasant (piyehi vippayogo)
  • not getting what is wanted (yampiccha na labhati)
The unsatisfactoriness of fabrications (saṅkhāradukkhatā):
  • the five clinging-aggregates (pañcupādānakkhandhā)

Also the Nettippakaraṇa:
  • Herein, the world is, at one time or another, somewhat free from to the unsatisfactoriness of pain as well as the unsatisfactoriness of change. Why is that? Because there are those in the world who have little sickness and are long-lived. But only the nibbāna component with no fuel remaining (anupādisesa nibbānadhātu) liberates from the unsatisfactoriness of fabrications.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Ñāṇa wrote:But only the nibbāna component with no fuel remaining (anupādisesa nibbānadhātu) liberates from the unsatisfactoriness of fabrications.
Brilliant.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
chownah

Post by chownah »

What is the Nettippakaraṇa?
chownah
sublime

Post by sublime »

An obscure text
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

First, a question:

The term "saṅkhāradukkhatā" is a compound. There are many ways to interpret compounds, and interpret one must for it to make any sense in English.
The use of the words "due to" indicates one sort of compound interpretation, but it is obviously not the only one.
For example, "suffering which is volitional formation(s)", or "suffering of volitional formations", etc. are possible others.

It may help to first get this in order before asking the question, lest the question itself be incorrect, or at least turning the meaning of the original phrase elsewhere.

~~ Huifeng
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

chownah wrote:What is the Nettippakaraṇa?
An important Pāli text for sutta commentary and interpretation. It's been translated by Ven. Ñaṇamoli as The Guide.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Chownah,

This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettipakarana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
may be of interest to you.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
chownah

Post by chownah »

Nana and Ben,
Thanks for the links.
chownah
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,
Paññāsikhara wrote:The term "saṅkhāradukkhatā" is a compound. There are many ways to interpret compounds, and interpret one must for it to make any sense in English.
The use of the words "due to" indicates one sort of compound interpretation, but it is obviously not the only one.
For example, "suffering which is volitional formation(s)", or "suffering of volitional formations", etc. are possible others.
I think that rendering it by “due to” or “because of” is justified by Commentary which says: Saṅkhāradukkhatāti saṅkhārabhāvena dukkhatā.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

To know sankharadukkhata, vipassana is required. The other two are much more gross. Without knowing sankharadukkhata to it's utmost degree, no 'escape from the field of perception' is possible.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha