Ordination in Thailand

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
appicchato

Re: Ordination in Thailand

Post by appicchato »

yuttadhammo wrote:...Dhammanando himself has been forced to leave the country, as I understand... maybe he agrees with me.
Greetings Bhante,

Foreign born monks basically have two options to stay in Thailand…a religious visa, or a student visa, both one year, both requiring renewal each year…the Thai government puts a limit of nine renewals on religious visas…if I had to venture a guess, I would say that Dhammanando Bhikkhu exhausted his ten years (or more, this being Thailand), and chose not to become a student…Thai passports are not on the cards for foreign born nationals…

Be well...
sonictravels

Post by sonictravels »

Thanks for all the information. I had a lovely stay in Cittaviveka. Everyone was warm and most importantly it seems to have potential for serious practice. It was also absolutely beautiful and so I feel that I don't need to look any further. But I am still tempted to go to Thailand. Only time will tell. Now I just need to practice patience to see how the path will unfold for me.
FBM

Post by FBM »

sonictravels wrote:Hello,

Does anyone have any information about Wat Tha Ma O? I cannot locate a website which may suggest it wouldn't be easy to ordain there as an english speaker..

Thanks
http://www.wattamaoh.com/home/index.php

I spent a week at Wat Tammahoh. It's Burmese, not Thai. I asked about ordination and they said it wouldn't be a problem. The Ajahn is very old (if he's still alive) and doesn't speak English, but the head monk does quite well.

The main function of Wat Tamaoh is to teach Pali to monks getting ready to take the state Pali exams. Most of the monks I saw there were young Burmese kids. It's a nice place, kinda small and in the suburbs of Lampang. The morning pindabat isn't hard, and it's a quiet neighborhood. I was there about 4 years ago, and they didn't have Internet access at that time. They do have a library with a limited, but interesting, selection of English books.

If I ordain a second time, Wat Tamaoh tops my (current) list of places to go. After you have settled in and learned how to behave as a monk, you can get permission to spend vassa at forest monasteries, if that's your inclination. If I were to go back, I'd ordain there and then go to the International Buddhist College in Sanklaburi for Ph.D studies.

The wat has English and Thai language classes for the young monks, too. As of four years ago, a Thai woman taught them both languages. If I were to ordain there, I'd volunteer to teach English to the other monks. The young ones are mostly very poor refugees who ordained as a means to get an education, food, shelter, etc. They're well supported by the local Thais, and the wat has a very good reputation. When I was trying to find it, all I had to say was "Wat Tamaoh" and everybody I talked to quickly pointed me in the right direction.

Best of luck!
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

For those who are looking for this information:

Somdet Maha Samanachao Vajirananavarorasa - Ordination Procedure

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30162231/Bhik ... -Procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
FBM

Post by FBM »

gavesako wrote:For those who are looking for this information:

Somdet Maha Samanachao Vajirananavarorasa - Ordination Procedure

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30162231/Bhik ... -Procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:anjali: Thank you for that. It brings up fond memories. Incidentally, the Ajahn at Wat Sunan was/is Japanese and named Gavesako. I presume he is still there. :anjali:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Bhikkhu Gavesako: Life as a Buddhist Monk in the West (video)

Posted by Anandajoti on Sunday, 19th June, 2011

This talk was given by Bhikkhu Gavesako on January 8th 2010, shortly before I left the Bodhi Lankarama Temple in Taiping to take up residence in Vivekavana (Malaysia).

In the talk Bhante describes the history of the Western Sangha, which originated with Ajahn Chah in north-east Thailand and then spread around the world starting with England in 1979.

There were many challenges and obstacles that had to be faced, and some adaptations to the new environment had to be made.

Having forest monasteries established in the West enabled young spiritual seekers to ordain as Buddhist monks there rather than in Asia, but the process of finding the appropriate monastic structure for the West still continues.

http://records.photodharma.net/talks/bh ... n-the-west" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Here you can find the Ordination (upasampada) Pali chanting with Thai explanation as sound files, for anyone wanting to become a monk in Thailand:

http://www.luangphee.co.cc/2011/01/monk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Upajjhaya Appointments

Luang Por Liem receiving the authorisation for Ajahn Amaro and Ajahn Chandapalo to perform Upasampada from a Tan Chao Khun at Wat Saket, Bangkok

This week, Ajahn Amaro and Ajahn Chandapalo were granted the status of upajjhaya (preceptor) by the Mahathera Samakorn, the ecclesiastical body which governs the Thai sangha, of which we are a part. Luang Por Liem came to Bangkok from Wat Pah Pong in the North East of Thailand to receive the certificates, and Ajahns Amaro and Chandapalo will fly to Thailand later this week to collect them in person before returning only a few days later. The sangha here will offer their respects and appreciation and endorse this appointment at a gathering at CBM on 10th June, when Samanera Bodhinando's Bhikkhu ordination can now go ahead, along with 4 other candidates.

http://ratanagiri.org.uk/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(These days the Sangha is divided into many "nikayas" or sub-groups with their own ecclesiastical structure which appoints only certain senior monks as "preceptors", i.e. those entitled to ordain new monks. Western monks of the Ajahn Chah tradition belong to the Thai Mahanikaya group and have to follow this procedure as well in order for the ordained monks to be recognized in Thailand.)
Bhikkhu Gavesako

Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

For those inquiring about temporary novice (samanera) ordination in Thailand, may I recommend the following:

http://www.monkordination.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. Apisit is the Abbot of Wat Sri Boen Ruang in Fang, Chiang Mai region, Thailand, and he supervises the teaching and permitting of novice ordinations for western men who qualify. Dr. Apisit is a young, dynamic Abbot and he is assisted by Phra Fred and Phra Greg, both English speaking Bhikkhus who teach Dhamma and Vipassana well.

Many men, young and older, have migrated to WSBR for temporary ordination and found the experience, the Monks and lay people, and the beauty of the region, extraordinary.

I ordained as a samanera in the summer of 2010 after a period of time in study and practice before the Rains. I was fortunate to be permitted by Dr. Apisit to do so, as my Pali was less than complete during the ordination, but I was ordained. An experience that I cannot adequately describe. You would need to experience it yourself. Highly recommended.
Beneath the Wheel

Post by Beneath the Wheel »

Is it possible to receive long-term ordination at Wat Sri Boen Ruang? Or do they only do temporary ordinations?

Also is there any sort of school or classes where one could learn Thai in that area?
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Beneath the Wheel:

Wat Sri Boen Ruang is a true Wat/Temple. It has on its premises a school for novices, a radio station, and all the elements of any well establish Thai Wat. Yes, full ordination is conducted at WSBR in the normal course. One of my teachers, Ven. Phra Fred, ordained there, and of course Thai samanera go forth for full ordination there.

The advantage to WSBR, in my opinion, is the presence of a young, gifted, and dynamic Abbot who speaks English well, along with Phra Fred and Phra Greg, both native English speakers.

I may at some point ordain; go forth. I would choose to ordain only at WSBR. It is my Dhamma home, in a sense. Now, if only my Thai and Pali would progress and improve..I might stand a chance at being considered for this ordination.....
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

http://www.watthaitemple.com/ordination ... hist-monk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ordination of Buddhist Monk
Bhikkhu Gavesako

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

sonictravels wrote:Hello,

Does anyone have any information about Wat Tha Ma O? I cannot locate a website which may suggest it wouldn't be easy to ordain there as an english speaker..

Thanks
The abbot of Wat Tha Ma O, Sayādaw Dhammānanda, is now nearly blind and too frail to teach. The de facto abbot now is a very talented Burmese-trained Thai monk, Sayādaw Gandhasāra. U Gandhasāra has undertaken a fair bit of international teaching (mostly leading retreats in Europe) and speaks English well. He is also an incredibly prolific translator, especially of Burmese treatises into Thai, and impresses me as a competent meditation technician.

Earlier this year I transcribed and translated Wat Tha Ma O's Pali evening chanting and confession formulas for another Englishman who was preparing to ordain there. As these are rather different from those in general use in Thailand I am uploading the file here for anyone who might be considering ordaining at Tha Ma O.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando
Attachments
Tha Ma O.pdf
(173.11 KiB) Downloaded 1019 times
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
mr.c

Post by mr.c »

Hi everyone.

This thread starts with a reference to the homonymous one from E-Sangha, that isn't available anymore. I "discovered" the old thread back in 2009. I was then. and still am. interested in ordaining. I was very eager to read it but it was rather lengthy, so... I made a print out of it! Until some time ago I forgot where it was or if still existed, but some months ago I found it by chance.

It has taken me some time to transcribe it into electronic form again (a few minutes every day), but here it is once more. It covers from its first post on 6/aug/2006 until 25/jan/2009.

I hope someone still finds it useful, or has some value as a "historical" document... :)

Best wishes!
MrC
Attachments
ordaining-in-thailand.pdf
(347.64 KiB) Downloaded 1099 times
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks MrC!

(and welcome...)

:anjali:
Mike