Buddho

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Viscid

Re: Buddho

Post by Viscid »

In a lot of these quotes, it seems as if 'Buddho' can be replaced with other types of meditation objects.. the breath, your posture, your state of mind, etc. So even if you're not specifically using 'Buddho,' a lot of this advice is still quite relevant and useful.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
bodom

Post by bodom »

Viscid wrote:In a lot of these quotes, it seems as if 'Buddho' can be replaced with other types of meditation objects.. the breath, your posture, your state of mind, etc...
Indeed. The word "Buddho" has no real special significance in itself, other than being an epithet for the Buddha. What is most important, as with any meditation technique, is the resulting awareness, concentration and wisdom. "Buddho" is a means to the end.
"Once the mind stays with the breath, you don't have to repeat buddho in the mind. It's like calling your water buffalo. Once it comes, why keep calling its name?" - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

Do not be attached to the object of meditation such as a mantra. Know its purpose. If you succeed in concentrating your mind using the mantra "Buddho," let the mantra go. It is a mistake to think that to stop repeating "Buddho" would be laziness. Buddha means "the one who knows" -if you become one who knows, why repeat the word? - Ajahn Chah

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

It's helpful that it's two syllables. IN-OUT --> BUD-DHO

Also, if the term was, say, CHEESE-CAKE, the mind would be able to use it as a springboard into all manner of papanca. With Buddho, the proliferations are more likely to come across a reminder to be mindful, and snap the mind back to the object.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Coo-kies, T-V, inter-net, nap-time... Yeah, feeling pretty awakened.
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

Kenshou wrote:Coo-kies, T-V, inter-net, nap-time... Yeah, feeling pretty awakened.

in-ter-net
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Yeah but there's gotta be one part for the in breath and another for the out, 3 parts doesn't fit well!
bodom

Post by bodom »

The purpose of cultivating awareness through
continuous recitation of “Buddho ”, “Buddho ” – that which knows –
is to see this truth. When the mind becomes one-pointed through the
recitation of “Buddho ”, this supports the development of insight into
the three characteristics of impermanence (anicca ), suffering (dukkha )
and nonself (anatta¯); the clarity of awareness brings you to view things
as uncertain and changeable. If you see this clearly and directly the
mind lets go. So when you experience any kind of happiness, you know
it’s uncertain; when you experience any kind of suffering, you know it’s
uncertain just the same. If you go to live somewhere else, hoping it will
be better than where you are already, remember that it’s not a sure thing
whether you will really find what you are looking for. If you think it’s
best to stay here, again, it’s not sure. That’s just the point! With insight,
you see that everything is uncertain, so wherever you go to practise you
don’t have to suffer. When you want to stay here, you stay. When you
want to go elsewhere, you go and you don’t make any problems for
yourself. All that doubting and vacillation about what is the right thing
to do ends. It is the way of training in fixing mindfulness solely on the
present moment that brings the doubts to an end. - Ajahn Chah
http://www.ajahnchah.org/pdf/the_teachi ... ah_web.pdf

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Sitting here, we have mindfulness constantly in control, knowing things as they are, and
meditation then becomes quite simple. It’s the same if we meditate on
Buddho – if we understand what Buddho really is, then we don’t need
to repeat the word ‘Buddho.’ It means having full knowledge and firm
awareness. This is meditation. - Ajahn Chah
http://www.ajahnchah.org/pdf/the_teachi ... ah_web.pdf

- BB
befriend

Post by befriend »

is repeating buddho, buddho... a form of concentration practice, vipassana or both?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

befriend wrote:is repeating buddho, buddho... a form of concentration practice, vipassana or both?
If you consider right concentration as jhana, the right answer might be none.

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

dhammarelax wrote:
befriend wrote:is repeating buddho, buddho... a form of concentration practice, vipassana or both?

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Are you saying that you don't believe in the efficacy of the practice?
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:
dhammarelax wrote:

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Are you saying that you don't believe in the efficacy of the practice?
I have tried it and the only relevant result that I got once is that the mind started perceiving a bright white light and it sharpened the awareness quite a bit, it was not effective for me. Bhante Vimalaramsi goes further declaring it to be "wishful thinking". I think that the chances of it leading to jhana are very slim.

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
bodom

Post by bodom »

dhammarelax wrote:
I have tried it and the only relevant result that I got once is that the mind started perceiving a bright white light and it sharpened the awareness quite a bit, it was not effective for me. Bhante Vimalaramsi goes further declaring it to be "wishful thinking". I think that the chances of it leading to jhana are very slim.

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Just because it did not work for you does not mean it does not work. Bhante Vimalaramsi does not have the final say on all matters.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

bodom wrote:
dhammarelax wrote:

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Just because it did not work for you does not mean it does not work. Bhante Vimalaramsi does not have the final say on all matters.

:goodpost:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

dhammarelax wrote:

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Considering Vimalaramsi never practiced in that tradition, his declaration shows his small mindedness and ego!
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"