Video: Meditation: Suttas vs Commentaries

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
mikenz66

Re: Video: Meditation: Suttas vs Commentaries

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sylvester,

Good point. Also, the following sequence is in dozens of suttas:
[Works through Jhanas...]
"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to
[... three knowledges ...]
E.g. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Sylvester,

Good point. Also, the following sequence is in dozens of suttas:
[Works through Jhanas...]
"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to
[... three knowledges ...]
E.g. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
But can we read that as indicating that the hindrances will be suppressed for a time after emerging from jhana?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote:But can we read that as indicating that the hindrances will be suppressed for a time after emerging from jhana?
That's how I always read it. Of course, I could be wrong, and I guess it involves some assumptions. But I struggle to imagine other ways of reading it...

Mike
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

This brings me to a post-canonical debate about the possibilities of post-Jhana iddhis. I'm not sure if it was in the context of "transfer of merit/demerit" or simply benefaction versus malediction.

Anyway, the query was asked as to how benefaction was possible, and post-Jhana iddhis was proposed. The doubter then asked if it was then also possible to use post-Jhana iddhi for malediction. The answer was that malediction requires vyapada, and if that hindrance could creep back in, the basis for the iddhis would have evaporated.

Does anybody have the reference for this? There's a little debate going on in our sphere, and I wanted to be certain of what that text actually said, before I misquoted.

Thanks. :anjali:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:But can we read that as indicating that the hindrances will be suppressed for a time after emerging from jhana?
That's how I always read it. Of course, I could be wrong, and I guess it involves some assumptions. But I struggle to imagine other ways of reading it...

Mike
Either way, It looks like Vimalaramsi' is also in-line with the commentaries after all.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

it does not matter about his views on Buddhagosa
you have to go to his retreat to test his way of teaching the meditation
where does he offer retreat?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Gena1480 wrote:it does not matter about his views on Buddhagosa
you have to go to his retreat to test his way of teaching the meditation
where does he offer retreat?
http://www.dhammasukha.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

Thanks mike
befriend

Post by befriend »

ive actually tried meditating as he describes, for example the most important part of this meditation teaching is relaxing the tension in the mind after one wishes a thought of good will, this is letting go of craving, and it makes the might very bright and clear right after you do it, sometimes it actually feels better than the energy from the thought of metta. he also teaches to smile slightly all day long i notice this is a great way to have joy in the mind and it makes my body relaxed and happy. dont throw the baby out with the bath water if he says something a little off it doesnt mean everything else about what he teaches is off. people who do retreats with him are pretty much guranteed to enter jhana within a few days, i think thats says it all.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

i did try it yesterday
and had three yellow light flashes in row
happen to me
what truly strike me
about what he said about Jhana that they are level of understanding
i could not agree more
mn 111 show Jhana is a way of understanding

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
buddhajunkie

Post by buddhajunkie »

I am interested in hearing teachers flesh out and explain how they implement the Anapanasati Sutta.

I have some questions. I ran across Vimalaramsi's free online book but haven't read it. (I saw it on Amazon when I looked up "anapanasati".

1. Is there a different, free online book/article on the anapanasati sutta that you would recommend instead of this one?

2. What actual books would you recommend instead? What do you think of "Breath by Breath" by Rosenberg?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

buddhajunkie wrote: What do you think of "Breath by Breath" by Rosenberg?
It would be worth reading even if you do not agree with it.