YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Is Theravada "Realist"? - Dhamma Wheel

Is Theravada "Realist"?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Is Theravada "Realist"?

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:46 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Re: Is Theravada "Realist"?

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:50 am

No. It is nominalist: The doctrine holding that abstract concepts, general terms, or universals have no independent existence but exist only as names.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:52 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:55 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:59 am

Greetings Tilt,

Does that make the answer "no", or does it mean you wish to redefine the terms to show what the "abstract concepts, general terms, or universals" point to?

Metta,
Retro. :)

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:03 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 am

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:03 am

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:15 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:17 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:23 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:24 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:26 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:47 am

Greetings Tilt,

It is not Immaterialist then.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:27 pm

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:28 pm

If philosophy is "beliefs about reality" I think the answer is that Theravada is not philosophy. To treat it as such is a disservice.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

pulga

Postby pulga » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:40 pm

That abstractions and ideas are the same thing; and, though they do not exist apart from images, they are not anchored to any one particular image; but, in the sense that they necessarily have one or another concrete (even if multiple) imaginary content, the abstraction is illusory: abstraction is a discursive escape from the singularity of the real to the plurality of the imaginary -- it is not an escape from the concrete." (from Ven. Ñanavira's Shorter Note on Mano) (my emphasis)

This is about as close to Ven. Ñanananda that Ven. Ñanavira comes. The whole note is worthy of a careful read. What he is explaining is his interpretation of Husserl's theory of categorial intuition (though he may have come by the idea by way of Sartre).

Nicro

Postby Nicro » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:18 pm

I don't think its realist.

Reality is what we experience of it. We can't say anything exists outside of our experience. We can't even say if anything exists outside of what our sense doors tell us. I am looking at my computer now, so I am experiencing looking at my computer, but I can't even say if it is real. It is just what my eyes and hands tell me.

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:56 pm

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:59 pm

I don't get it.....the Buddha taught that The World contains only fabricated things and that all fabricated things are contained in The World. Can this be the same as realism? Can this be different from realism?
chownah

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”