Your favourite contemporary teachers

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
SamKR

Re: Your favourite contemporary teachers

Post by SamKR »

SN Goenka whose Hindi lectures (during my first course) and his nice Hindi books introduced me to the Buddha's profound teachings. Otherwise, like most of the Nepalese, I had impression that the Buddha is just a regular religious figure who advocated the importance of peace in the world. Further, I used to hear that Hindus should respect him as an incarnation of Vishnu, and that since he was "born in Nepal" we should feel very proud.

Bhikkhu Bodhi, and Thanissaro Bhikkhu are also my favourite teachers; I have read and liked many of their articles and translations. Because I did not find any good translations of Tipitaka in Nepali I had to read English translations even when I was in Nepal.
patientvalue

Your favourite living teachers / masters

Post by patientvalue »

Which living Dhamma teacher(s)/masters(s) have you had direct contact with and have been inspired by or for some reason repeatedly drawn to their teachings. What was it about that person and your experience that you found compelling or influential? For example it may be admiration for their wisdom or conduct or how highly they are regarded/respected by wise elders.

For some it may not be a person rather the Dhamma itself or someone who has passed away; I hope this thread can be focused on people sharing their experience of living masters so that readers may visit them if they wish and see how the Dhamma is being sustained by present day exemplars.

While many teachers have been discussed in various threads I thought it would be useful if they were gathered into a single thread. While I have read many books from the great Dhamma teachers and have seen videos I lack personal experience with a great teacher. At the end of the year I will be visiting Thailand and perhaps Sri Lanka and hope to be able to visit some of the people recommended here.

Let us know if they are a lay practitioner or monastic and where they are living (don't limit your sharing to the countries I mentioned).

Thankyou!

EDIT: Apologises to all, I posted this (in an incorrect area) not realising a similar thread had already started - I should have checked here first! It does still hold though. Perhaps instead of just giving a list of people you could include a salient point or two besides each name to give context to the reader.
Last edited by patientvalue on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bodom

Re: Your favourite living teachers / masters

Post by bodom »

See this thread:

Your favourite contemporary teachers
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

- Ven. Nanananda
- Nanavira Thera
- Ajahn Chah
- Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero
- Thanissaro Bhikkhu

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Ajahn Chah
Ajahn Sumedho
Ajahn Buddhadasa
Ngagpa Chogyam.
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Ajahn Brahm
Sogyal Rinpoche
Pema Chödrön
HH Dalai Lama
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Master Sheng-Yen
Ajahn Sumedho
Ajahn Chah
Chögyam Trungpa
Nanavira Thera
Buddhadasa
Bhante G
Ajahn Sucitto and Sujato
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Ajahn Brahm - Drew me to Theravada, if everyone took his advice the world'd be a better place (cue John Lennon..)

Ajahn Chah: No Chah, No Brahm (or Sumedho, Pasanno, Sucitto...you get my drift!)

Bhikkhu Samahita : Love his 'Dhamma drops from Ceylon' - Simply presented and very powerful. If you haven't yet, check out http://what-buddha-said.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many others! Thank you to the entire Noble Sangha :bow:

Oh and I agree with Ben that we must add Gotama Buddha to our list - He'll always be contemporary!!!! And without him, Dukkha would hold sway over all :jawdrop:
Saijun

Post by Saijun »

Hello friends,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ajahn Thanissaro. So, I'll cast my vote for him as my favorite Theravadin teacher, followed closely by Ajahn Sumedho and Ajahn Brahm.

Metta and Anjali,

Saijun
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

A couple of posters (including moi), mentioned the Ven. Thanissaro.

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Saijun

Post by Saijun »

Vepacitta wrote:A couple of posters (including moi), mentioned the Ven. Thanissaro.

V.
Hello Vepacitta,

My sincerest apologies to you and the others for missing those postings the first time through. Thank you for pointing them out to me.

Metta and Anjali,

Saijun
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

This deserves a bump up.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
thaijeppe

Post by thaijeppe »

Hi

Ajahn Mun
Ajahn Maha Bowa
Ajahn Chah
Buddhadasa Bhikkhu
Nanananda
Ajahn Sumedho
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Ajahn Passano
Pa-Auk Tawya Sayadaw

:anjali: Jeppe
If you let go a little, you will have a little peace. If you
let go a lot, you will have a lot of peace. If you let go completely,
you will know complete peace and freedom.
Ajahn Chah
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Ajahn Amaro
Ajahn Buddhadasa
Stephen Batchelor
Martine Batchelor.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
carlosm

Post by carlosm »

Thanissaro Bhikkhu: Because his dharma talks are amazing compelling, setting me in the path, not only for right concentration & mindfulness.
Bhikkhu Bodhi: His knowledge about the buddha's teachings and the pali cannon, he got me really interested in the suttas and the search for truth in the pali canon.