Color scheme

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Theocat

Color scheme

Post by Theocat »

I realize I'm very new here and I don't want to seem to criticize, but this section is for suggestions and I have one: could we possibly have access to more than one color scheme? I know that the software can easily handle more than one color scheme. I'm not saying that there should be a million options, but even one alternative would be nice. The default one is so... orange. It's so... hot. It makes me think of heat, of flames, of sweatiness, of deserts. I would very much like to see something cooler. Something with cool blues and greens and greys. Something light and airy. But unless I'm missing something in the user control panel, there is only one color scheme available. I don't think there need to be two dozen color schemes or anything. But one or two other choices would be refreshing. Whenever I visit I feel like I need a big glass of ice water or an umbrella to stay cool. :-)

Well, just a suggestion! Thanks for listening.

Doug
I will act as though what I do makes a difference.
Kim OHara

Re: Color scheme

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, Doug,
It's summer there now, right? Maybe you'll enjoy the warmth in six months' time.
:smile:
But it's a reasonable suggestion. I seem to remember that the colour scheme was based around the saffron colour of monks' robes. Maybe the alternate could be based on the colours of the mountains of the Buddha's homeland.

:namaste:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Kim O'Hara wrote:the mountains of the Buddha's homeland.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Doug

This has come up before. David chose the colour scheme when we first started Dhamma Wheel some years ago. The colour scheme is based on the colours that emanated from the Buddha at the end of the full-moon when he became enlightened and are also the colours of the Buddhist (Olcott) flag.
200px-Buddhist_flag_svg.png
200px-Buddhist_flag_svg.png (608 Bytes) Viewed 1484 times
Realistically, its not likely that the colour scheme will change. What I can tell you that over time, it becomes unnoticable.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I think we looked into this before and some of the features didn't work with having alternate color schemes that members could choose.

The colors were chosen, as Ben says, from the Buddhist flag and since they are sort of 'Theravada' colors.

No matter what color scheme is in place there will be some who love it, some who hate it, and some who don't care that much either way. This is because it is sort of an 'artistic' choice or preference and there is no way over 3,000 will all agree on one type of preference.