Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
unspoken

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Post by unspoken »

How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello unspoken, I think its better than reading a book, because Bhikkhu Bodi tend to explain things in a very easy to follow way. And for a beginner he really makes things clear. If you look at the page it usually tells you the length of each lecture if I remember correctly. It would amount to many hours I'm sure.
BKh

Post by BKh »

amrad wrote:When you go to the monastery home page its hard to tell if its true Theravada or a synthesis of that and Mahayana. Could anyone add any information as to the nature of their mission. What a loving act of generosity to make these lectures available for free to those interested.
I have not listened to these particular talks, but I have listened to Bhante's Saturday morning MN talks for the last five months and I doubt those talks linked to above would be much different in terms of Theravada doctrine. He almost never brings up any Mahayana concepts. It's all coming right from the Pali suttas, sometimes with information from the ancient commentaries. From time to time a student will ask a question related to Mahayana and he usually avoids commenting. If he ever did, though, I'm sure he would make it clear that the information is coming from Mahayana. He is, of course, very respectful to the Mahayana teachings, but doesn't do blending.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

BKh wrote:
amrad wrote:When you go to the monastery home page its hard to tell if its true Theravada or a synthesis of that and Mahayana. Could anyone add any information as to the nature of their mission. What a loving act of generosity to make these lectures available for free to those interested.
I have not listened to these particular talks, but I have listened to Bhante's Saturday morning MN talks for the last five months and I doubt those talks linked to above would be much different in terms of Theravada doctrine. He almost never brings up any Mahayana concepts. It's all coming right from the Pali suttas, sometimes with information from the ancient commentaries. From time to time a student will ask a question related to Mahayana and he usually avoids commenting. If he ever did, though, I'm sure he would make it clear that the information is coming from Mahayana. He is, of course, very respectful to the Mahayana teachings, but doesn't do blending.
I think perhaps that amrad was asking about the Monasteries where Ven Bodhi has been living. I can't find the links right now, but when he returned to the US from Sri Lanka he said that he was invited to stay at Bodhi Monastery (no relation) by Venerable Jen-Chun and he has been interested in fostering more discussion between various schools, and, more recently, setting up a Buddhist charity organization (Buddhist Global Relief). However, as BKh says, in terms of his exposition of Pali teachings, he sticks to explaining the texts.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Unspoken,
unspoken wrote:How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?
It might be possible to just listen, but I would recommend having the book, since the talks often assume you've looked at the passage under discussion. It's a relatively cheap paperback (less than $20).

Mike
unspoken

Post by unspoken »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Unspoken,
unspoken wrote:How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?
It might be possible to just listen, but I would recommend having the book, since the talks often assume you've looked at the passage under discussion. It's a relatively cheap paperback (less than $20).

Mike
Actually I'm just a teenager living in Malaysia. If its in dolar, convert to malaysian ringgit, it will be rm60 which I could not afford it. I think I'll be fine just download the mp3 :smile:
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

I can relate to that.

I first got interested in Buddhism in the 90s when I was a student. I was living off about $500 a month. Wisdom's "Middle Length Discourses", I think, was even more expensive back then. There were no Amazon or used book discounts. It wasn't in the library system as it is now. Buying a copy would have been like sacrificing a week and half's worth of grocery money.

Luckily, the sutta class I went to didn't mind sharing books at classes or providing photocopies. John Bullit of Access To Insight was also working with the Buddhist Publication Society to put a lot of their pamphlets on the web ( I still read a few of them as text files and converted a few to HTML myself ) and about the same time Thanisarro Bhikkhu started putting his translations on Access To Insight. My Buddhist education would have been shut down back then if not for these things.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Thanks for this original poster. What a great resource! I just started reading In the Buddha's Words and just finished Wings to Awakening. I have been listening to these talks while I do stuff around the house. I also like Thanissaro's Handful of Leaves I, but am still in the introduction of that. Wings was much easier to read at a faster pace compared to In the Buddha's Words which I like just as much but something about it makes me want to read more reflectively and and hence slower. Also, so far, Wings seems more thesis driven (to support his opinion of the importance of the bodhipakkiyadhamma?) whereas IBW more expository.

What are your experiences with these anthologies?

Thanks,

Dan
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Dan,

Of course, I agree. Ven Thanissaro's books seem to me to be written to make particular points (nothing wrong with that, of course, same goes for many authors!). Bhikkhu Bodhi's anthology does attempt to be a broad cross-section of suttas giving a reasonably balanced view of the breadth of advice that is in the Canon. I have found his classification system very useful and it's seldom that I read a sutta that contains material that is not hinted at in that volume, though of course I can point to suttas that go into the various aspects in more detail.

The criticism that some have is that he deliberately downplayed verse, but verse (such as the Dhammapada, the Sutta Nipata, and the first book of the Samyutta Nikaya) is difficult to render both accurately and poetically. Yes, it would be nice to include the Ratana, Mahāmaṅgala Sutta, and Metta Suttas, but it would require a lot of explanation (which he gives here: http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/about- ... ipata.html).

Mike
Gibraltariana

Post by Gibraltariana »

I am going to order this book today. Thanks!
past is dead

Post by past is dead »

I have started to read this book few days ago and it's really good so far. Can you guys recommend me other books by Bhikkhu Bodhi or other Theravada related books?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Past Is Dead,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Check out this topic...

Introductory resources
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
past is dead

Post by past is dead »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Past Is Dead,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Check out this topic...

Introductory resources
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Thanks you Retrofuturist for the help, I am new here so I will need some time to learn my way around :)

Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
past is dead wrote:Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?
In a nutshell...

Introductory: anything from the topic I referenced, or anything by Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Chah, Bhikkhu Bodhi, or Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Intermediate: anything from the Sutta Pitaka
Advanced: anything by Bhikkhu Nanananda, Nanavira Thera, Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero... then going back to the Sutta Pitaka and reading it, taking what these people have said into account

:reading:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
past is dead

Post by past is dead »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
past is dead wrote:Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?
In a nutshell...

Introductory: anything from the topic I referenced, or anything by Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Chah, Bhikkhu Bodhi, or Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Intermediate: anything from the Sutta Pitaka
Advanced: anything by Bhikkhu Nanananda, Nanavira Thera, Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero... then going back to the Sutta Pitaka and reading it, taking what these people have said into account

:reading:

Metta,
Thanks a lot again