YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Solely Anapanasati - Dhamma Wheel

Solely Anapanasati

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
daverupa

Solely Anapanasati

Postby daverupa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:19 am

altar

Re: Solely Anapanasati

Postby altar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 pm

i prefer the phrase puts mindfulness to the fore to puts it in front of him. it means it is his sole preoccupation, or, at any rate, the sole designation of his occupation. normally you can be doing mindfulness of chattering away or doing odd tasks and jobs, or whatever it is you are doing. but here mindfulness itself is the chief preoccupation. of course, and as i have come to learn, it is accompanied by and important to include other factors including intention.
another translation for displeasure in regard to the world is grief. so it means im fairly certain the kind of displeasure that keeps you concerned with the world. if it is sensitive to displeasure in your body or mind, this is different and is usually considered as a vipassana object, endured, or ignored to continue with the meditation.
as per the umm instructions which keep you focused on always considering and analyzing or intentionality or cessation, these i think one usually sorts out themselves regarding their desire for jhana or more peace and quiet and vipassana kind of accompanying it along, however it would be interesting to hear what one has to say
useful tools are the seven factors of enlightenment and the 5 spiritual faculties/powers along w/ contemplation of the 5 hindrances working towards their dispelling however it would be neat to see how you do focussing solely on the anapanasati sutta. but maybe i should work on meditating before i give so much advice.

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi,

For practical instructions, you will need someone with deep knowledge of the practie, like Ven.Thanissaro Bhikkhu:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#part2-b

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... #varieties

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/inmind.html

As for the term 'parimukhaṃ', there's a relevant thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5636

Satipatthana: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5656#p88181

'Sati' is to keep in mind the selected area of experience, while 'sampajanna' notices aht happens there:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4299
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5570

The 16 methods of Anapanasati are not a sequence of steps, they are brought together in four groups according to the four ways of establishing remembrance (sati).

The sequence is explained, for example, in Mahanama sutta:

"And when the mind is headed straight, the disciple of the noble ones gains a sense of the goal, gains a sense of the Dhamma, gains joy connected with the Dhamma. In one who is joyful, rapture arises. In one who is rapturous, the body grows calm. One whose body is calmed experiences ease. In one at ease, the mind becomes concentrated."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Good luck,

Dmytro

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:54 pm

P.S. The earliest practical explanation of Anapanasati:

http://www.bps.lk/bp_library/bp502s/bp502_part3.html

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sun May 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi Daverupa,

I see no problem with what you are suggesting, but I do believe and have experienced that the first three retrads lead to the first jhana ('release'). The jhana factors of piti (rapture) and sukha (bliss) arise before the jhana itself arises, so that is the 5th and 6th lines. When this fades what remains to be felt is 'citta' or mind. Even this is 'relaxed' when the awareness is felt to absorb into the nimitta. Then there is further work to be done (9-12) to get into the first jhana. This sutta outlines an amazingly sophisticated method to get into jhana, best attempted by those who already have some proficiency in the anapanasati method- note that the Buddha taught it to some of his finest monks, who were already meditating. It bears the mark of the genius of a Sammasambuddha IMO. You are welcome to discuss this further.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sun May 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Explanations of anapanasati which suggest that any stage (1-16) requires jhana are mistaken. Jhana can probably arise during any stage of anapanasati, yet anapanasati can be practiced to step 16 without jhana. It's a matter of development. Besides, suppose one is practicing the second tetrad and attains jhana - one would still have to explore the third and fourth tetrads; jhana isn't a "pass" for the aspects of anapanasati not yet developed. Sammasati and sammasamadhi both.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sun May 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi Daverupa,

I don't see how 1-16 require jhana. I feel step 12 (release) is talking of release into jhana (Samma samadhi). It doesn't then follow that 13-16 must be done in that jhana either.

In my experience 1-12 steps are a sophisticated and sequential development of the progress of samadhi. What is special in this are that some steps are voluntary and others in involuntary developments. I guess you could practice the 'full body of the breath' before the 'long breath', but it is not the correct label.. or to put in other words- that label of the full body of the breath finds the best fit, after the sequential development from steps 1 and 2, in step 3.

Edit: The dhamma being proclaimed in a certain order, used to be a mark of a proper teacher/teaching, and the Dhamma was indeed 'well said' (suvakkata).

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:38 am

The Seven Practices
For a Healthy Mind

By Venerable Ajahn Mitsuo Gavesako

Wat Sunandavanaram
Ban Tha Tian, Tumbol Saiyoke,
Amphur Saiyok, Kanchanaburi, Thailand.

http://truthoflife.fix.gs/index.php?topic=1421.0
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Very useful Bhante :anjali:

JackV

Postby JackV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:34 pm

I'm glad this thread is here. It seems like there is a blizzard of writings interpreting the suttas in regards to anapanasati. Too many writings to read and digest each and everyone. Good to see opinions popping up about the better writings.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:31 am

Hi daverupa/all,
My practice involves anapanasati. If what you say about anapanasati and jhana is true (and I think it is), then I could probably save myself some time and forgo reading the long threads on jhana here at Dhammawheel, right? ;)

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:13 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:27 pm

The has only the first tetrad yet goes on to describe all four jhanas, so that's a point in favor of such an interpretation. Segregating the tetrads in this way, it would seem a progression through anapanasati 1-16 borders on artificial. Yet besides the Kayagatasati Sutta and the two Satipatthana Suttas, which seem likely to be composite, the 16 steps are always conveyed together.

Is it possible the repetition of seven enlightenment factors for each tetrad is an artifact of recension?

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”