Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:50 pm

Bhikkhu Bodhi's lectures based on his book "In the Buddha's Words" http://wisdompubs.org/Pages/display.lasso?-KeyValue=104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
are available here: http://www.noblepath.org/audio.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[Scroll down, there are also some MN talks there...]

The audio makes this outstanding introduction to the Pali Canon even more useful and instructive... :thumbsup:

And see also the links to freely-available versions here:
In the Buddha's Words - Open Source Version

Metta
Mike

mikenz66

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Postby Ben » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks Mike!

EDIT: Converted this thread into an 'announcement'.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:49 am

thats pretty awesome, i threw in a CD of his talks on the M.N. when i put in my last order at BPS
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby alan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:44 am

I'm very interested in reading this book. Does anyone have it? I'd like to know if the type is small, and if the paper is grey. In other words, is it easy on the eyes? Sometimes publishers will condense big books into paperback by forcing too much script into too little space. If I can't keep the book open while eating a chicken curry, well then, it can't be read!
Thanks!
alan

Postby Jechbi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:53 am

It's at Barnes & Noble, so you can probably see a copy there before deciding whether to buy one.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby alan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:00 am

I'm camping out on Cape Cod, Ma. My real job is as a photographer...and soon will be leaving for Thailand. Might not get to a good bookstore before that. I'd like to order the book, but my eyes are sensitive. They don't like small print.
Thanks.
alan

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:09 am

Hi Alan,
alan wrote:I'd like to order the book, but my eyes are sensitive. They don't like small print.
Thanks.

The print seems good to me. And well laid out.
It says "Set in DPalatino 10/13.75 pt." if that's any help...

It's certainly not some sort of super-small condensation....

Mike
mikenz66

Postby alan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:25 am

Thanks! I will order today. It's coming to Asia with me.
alan

Postby tripleN » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:04 am

hi mike,

thanks for sharing.
i tried the link to listen to the talks, but got an error/file not found/web under construction response.
do u know what happenedt o the site, and if the talks are available elsewhere? bhikkhu bodhi's explanations are so helpful, would be great to listen. thanks!
tripleN

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:28 am

Hmm, Don't know. Hopefully a temporary problem.

Here's a cache of the page:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

Mike
mikenz66

Postby bodhabill » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Mike

Bhikkhu Bodhi's book In The Buddha's Words is the best introduction to the Pali Cannon and is one of my constant companions

The link to the audio files is much appreciated

All seems to be working OK when I visited five minutes ago :woohoo:

With Metta
Bill
"Complaining is finding faults, wisdom is finding solutions" Ajahn Brahm
bodhabill

Postby O'seeker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 am

:twothumbsup: That book ROCKS! :twothumbsup:
O'seeker

Postby nobody12345 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:45 pm

I owe a lot to this book.
Bhikkhu Bodhi is one of the most gifted messenger of Dhamma.
His lecture mp3 is something that I listen to every single day and night.
:bow:
nobody12345

Postby Atrey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Hey,
I ordered the book yesteday, can't wait to recieve it and start to read! :reading:
Many of you suggested it as a great source, thank you guys. To have an accompanying audio ito the book is simply great! :smile:
Thanks Mike!
:anjali:
Atrey

Postby amrad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:57 pm

I also have started to listen to the lectures. The introduction and history of early Buddhism is really fascinating for a beginner like myself.
When you go to the monastery home page its hard to tell if its true Theravada or a synthesis of that and Mahayana. Could anyone add any information as to the nature of their mission. What a loving act of generosity to make these lectures available for free to those interested.
amrad

Postby unspoken » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:36 pm

How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?
unspoken

Postby amrad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Hello unspoken, I think its better than reading a book, because Bhikkhu Bodi tend to explain things in a very easy to follow way. And for a beginner he really makes things clear. If you look at the page it usually tells you the length of each lecture if I remember correctly. It would amount to many hours I'm sure.
amrad

Postby BKh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24 pm

amrad wrote:When you go to the monastery home page its hard to tell if its true Theravada or a synthesis of that and Mahayana. Could anyone add any information as to the nature of their mission. What a loving act of generosity to make these lectures available for free to those interested.

I have not listened to these particular talks, but I have listened to Bhante's Saturday morning MN talks for the last five months and I doubt those talks linked to above would be much different in terms of Theravada doctrine. He almost never brings up any Mahayana concepts. It's all coming right from the Pali suttas, sometimes with information from the ancient commentaries. From time to time a student will ask a question related to Mahayana and he usually avoids commenting. If he ever did, though, I'm sure he would make it clear that the information is coming from Mahayana. He is, of course, very respectful to the Mahayana teachings, but doesn't do blending.
http://www.readingfaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas
http://www.audtip.org Audio Sutta Recordings
BKh

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 pm

BKh wrote:
amrad wrote:When you go to the monastery home page its hard to tell if its true Theravada or a synthesis of that and Mahayana. Could anyone add any information as to the nature of their mission. What a loving act of generosity to make these lectures available for free to those interested.

I have not listened to these particular talks, but I have listened to Bhante's Saturday morning MN talks for the last five months and I doubt those talks linked to above would be much different in terms of Theravada doctrine. He almost never brings up any Mahayana concepts. It's all coming right from the Pali suttas, sometimes with information from the ancient commentaries. From time to time a student will ask a question related to Mahayana and he usually avoids commenting. If he ever did, though, I'm sure he would make it clear that the information is coming from Mahayana. He is, of course, very respectful to the Mahayana teachings, but doesn't do blending.

I think perhaps that amrad was asking about the Monasteries where Ven Bodhi has been living. I can't find the links right now, but when he returned to the US from Sri Lanka he said that he was invited to stay at Bodhi Monastery (no relation) by Venerable Jen-Chun and he has been interested in fostering more discussion between various schools, and, more recently, setting up a Buddhist charity organization (Buddhist Global Relief). However, as BKh says, in terms of his exposition of Pali teachings, he sticks to explaining the texts.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi Unspoken,
unspoken wrote:How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?

It might be possible to just listen, but I would recommend having the book, since the talks often assume you've looked at the passage under discussion. It's a relatively cheap paperback (less than $20).

Mike
mikenz66

Next

Return to General Theravāda discussion