Do arahants discard vipaka/suffering?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Do arahants discard vipaka/suffering?

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:03 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

piotr

Postby piotr » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:55 am

Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 am

piotr

Postby piotr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:37 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Greetings Poitr,

I haven't read the BB essay in question, but I'm sure I've read the sutta and the footnotes of his sutta translation... coming from which, I take it that a wisdom-liberated arahant can become such without having to attain the 4th jhana... a lesser (sutta-defined) jhana will also do. Furthermore, in the Satipatthana Sutta there is potential promise of quick arahantship following the satipatthana method, but without any boilerplate text on the jhanas - the closest it gets to talk on samadhi is when the meditator tranquilizes the bodily formations through anapanasati, or when observing whether or not the seven factors for awakening are present.

Now I don't much fancy hunting around this long topic for the link to the post where I said, "Did all arahants attain to the 4th jhana? No." but if you are, and the above paragraph was insufficient for you, I'll be happy to explain the intended context further.

Metta,
Retro. :)

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:07 pm

piotr

Postby piotr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:32 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”