Idea : "topic of the topics"

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Adrien

Idea : "topic of the topics"

Post by Adrien »

I don't know if there is already one (anyway, I didn't find it), but I think it would be great if there was a topic that would gather all the interesting dhammawheel links towards the most usual subjects (with a little comment to describe the link). I don't know if I'm clear, but it would look like something like that :

Don't click on the links, they all go to the same place (I had to choose an actual website, otherwise it just appears like that : link 1).

Kamma
link 1 : a discussion about this or that aspect of kamma
link 2 : kamma and rebirth
link 3 : general kamma discussion

Rebirth
link 1 -> 17 pages, here are some interesting posts : post 1 post 2 post 3
link 2 : about rebirth and anatta

Dependant Origination
link 1 : long discussion, a good summary in this post
link 2 : good books about D.O.
link 3 : about the three life scheme and the one life scheme
link 4 : how to use D.O. in practice

Anatta
link 1 : what is anatta ?
link 2 :

And so on...

And there also could be more specifically subjects, like
Discussions about relevance of commentaries
Discussions about bhikkhuni ordination
Different kins of jhanas
... (any kind of subject that comes a lot on the forum).

For exemple, a moderator (who wish to spend time for this project) could open such a topic, and everyone could make suggestions in this same topic. Then, he would just have to edit his first post to add some links, or even a new section.
Sometimes, people create a new subject, and they are told that it already exist (and the link is given). This way, it should be more easy for everyone, and maybe if I type something in the search box, I will only get real topics (because there would be no more "redirected topics"). Maybe I won't even use the search box anymore...

I'm not asking, I'm just suggesting. What do you think ?
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to
Modus.Ponens

Re: Idea : "topic of the topics"

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I think it's a very good idea but it may take some work to do it.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Adrien

Re: Idea : "topic of the topics"

Post by Adrien »

You're right, and I'm aware of it... Anyway, we shouldn't try to do it all at once. Sometimes, when I'm interested in a particular subject, I like to search the conversations on dhammawheel which seems interestant, and bookmark them (I can't read all at once). Next time, I will post the results of my search in this very topic. I won't necessary try to comment them, or to find the most interesting posts : it can be done later. I mean, the aim is not to search things only to built this topic, but to share the work we do, when we do it for ourselves anyway.

Just to point that this is not a work for moderators. Everyone can do it, the moderator will only be the one who edit the first post to add all the suggestions. To ease the work, every suggestion could be put in a quotation of the first post (so that the moderator would only have to do a copy/paste).

If some people do that here, maybe the "topic of the topics" will be open with all the materials we gave. I have already bookmarked some topics, and I will post my selections here when I have the time.
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to