Ven. Vimalaramsi on the Abhidhamma & the Visuddhi Magga

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
legolas

Re: Ven. Vimalaramsi on the Abhidhamma & the Visuddhi Magga

Post by legolas »

Thanks Tilt,

It made good listening and now good reading.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

legolas wrote:Thanks Tilt,

Yes, of course it does, if one does not let the facts get in the way.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks for typing that out, Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:
legolas wrote:Thanks Tilt,

Yes, of course it does, if does not let the facts get in the way.
And let's be clear that what many of us are objecting to is not the expression of particular views. The quotes that Geoff/Nana provided above express some similar views to Bhante Vimalaramsi. However, they do so on the basis of careful scholarship, and without suggesting that they are the only ones to have figured it out...

:anjali:
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote:without suggesting that they are the only ones to have figured it out...
Actually there's part of the talk, seemingly not transcribed in Tilt's notes where he says that others are now teaching a sutta-only approach as well, though he doesn't give names.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Vimalaramsi wrote:Before he [Buddhaghosa] became a monk, he was a Vedic scholar

He was not a meditator, but he became very prideful about his ability in Pali.

He started thinking he knew Pali better than his teachers did. His teacher read his mind. He said: “No you don’t and the only way you can overcome this unwholesome state you developed is by going to Sri Lanka.” For a 1000 years the Sri Lankan had put all of the commentaries in Sri Lankan, not Pali. So his teacher told him that he had to go to Sri Lanka and change all the Sri Lankan back into Pali. So, that is what he did. When he got to Sri Lanka the first book he wrote was called the Visuddhimagga. . . .
This link gives an accurate historical accounting of what is known about Buddhaghosa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhaghosa

What is interesting is the story here about Buddhaghosa being a prideful Pali scholar knowing more than his teacher - “. . . he became very prideful about his ability in Pali.” This is part of the Buddhaghosa story that developed centuries after his death, and Vimalaramsi could not even get it straight.

The question was not about knowing Pali, but knowing “the Buddha-word”: “One day the question arose in his mind: ‘Which has more understanding of the Buddha-word, I or my Preceptor?’” (See The Path of Purification, xxiv.) There is a big difference between being adept in Pali and knowing the Buddha-word. And important point here is that according to this late tradition Buddhaghosa was well versed in the Buddha’s teaching, contrary to the suggestion of Vimalaramsi that Buddhaghosa was not at all well versed in the Buddha-word.

Also, this tradition which gives us this story is also the tradition that claims that Buddhaghosa was an arahant. In other words, Vimalaramsi does not tell the teacher-student story correctly and Vimalaramsi conveniently ignores an important part of that very legend that he is using that totally undermines his disparagement of Buddhaghosa.
He was a not a meditator; he did not know what the Buddha taught as far as meditation, but he did know what the Vedas said about meditation, and to him meditation was meditation, right?
If Buddhaghosa was an arahant according to teacher/student tradition which Vimalaramsi miss-tells, Buddhaghosa was also a meditator, but even assuming that he was not, there is no justification for this bit of character assassination.

What Vimalaramsi fails to tell us is that Buddhaghosa used the Vimuttimagga and that the Visuddhimagga was carefully gone over by Mahavihara monks before Buddhaghosa was allowed to translate the commentaries.

From the Wiki article: Buddhaghosa became a Buddhist monk and undertook the study of the Tipitaka and its commentaries. On finding a text for which the commentary had been lost in India, Buddhaghosa determined to travel to Sri Lanka to study a Sinhalese commentary that was believed to have been preserved. The point being, Buddhaghosa was understood to have extensive knowledge of the texts, which means extensive knowledge of what the Buddha taught about meditation: which to say that that this statement by Vimalaramsi - He did not know what the Buddha said, he knew what the Vedas said, so he put what the Vedas said in this book. - could only characterized as utter nonsense.
What he taught about meditation was absorption, concentration, and he taught all about access concentration and having a sign arise, nimitta . . . and you go through all of the jhanas that talked about in the Vedas. That is why appears as if it were the same as the Buddha’s teachings.
The Vedas are ritual texts. They do not teach jhanas, and this is really a slander of the worst sort against Buddhaghosa as a way of dismissing him.
The problem with this kind of practice is when you get into access concentration the force of the concentration stop hindrances from arising.
Access concentration does not stop stuff, including hindrances, from arising.
As a result you are not able to recognize hindrances when they arise. When you practice one-pointed concentration there is no personality change or development. There is a lot of pride. “I can get into the first jhana; I am really something great; you need to respect me.” That’s the kind of thinking there is even today. The problem with this practice is that it still have craving in your mind.
It is hard to dignify this with a response. The hard core, one-pointed jhana practices are not without their dangers, but no practice is free from the dangers of spiritual materialism and to characterize one-pointed concentration this way is unjustified and grossly self-serving.
Even today if you go to teachers of one-pointed concentration and ask them: “How does craving arise?” Or you ask them: “What is craving?” They can’t tell you. “Craving is desire.” “Let go of all desire.” [A gesture of” huh?] But they are serious; that is what they tell you. I know because I asked many, many very big monks this question and that’s the answer they give me. They don’t know how craving arises; they don’t know how to recognize it when it does arise; they don’t know how to let it go. Now, doesn’t that sound a little bit different from what I am teaching?
Stupid, misled “big monks” who have no real insight or experience, no understanding of the Dhamma. This just self-serving nonsense.
As a result of practicing absorption concentration you can never experience nibbana. Why? Because you still have hindrances, even though they might be pushed down very far. And you still have craving. If you have craving, you also have ignorance. So, what Buddhaghosa did was said: “:Yes this is right; you cannot attain nibbana by practicing absorption concentration.” So, through the commentaries he that read, he started making changes. And he came up with vipassana - insight knowledge. In the Visuddhimagga there are nine insight knowledges. In the sub-commentary written by Mahasi Sayadaw, there are 16 knowledges. And supposedly you are supposed to be able to attain nibbana by seeing anicca, dukkha, or anatta. After you get to what to what they call Sankharu – pekkha; that means “equanimity to formations.” That is the 11th insight knowledge. When you go through this knowledge - far enough - you get to a place where you will see anicca arise 4 or 5 times very, very quickly. Or dukkha arise 4 or 5 times very, quickly. Or anatta arise 4 or 5 times very, quickly. And then you have a black-out. When you come back you will see all the insight knowledges you have gone through; it will happen automatically and you have them in the right order. That’s what they call nibbana. I understand these insight knowledges all the way up to 16. That is not nibbana.
Unquestionably the Visuddhimagga, Mahasi Sayadaw and any number of approaches are open to justified criticism, and this certainly includes the sutta-only approach, but what I do not find here or in anything else I have seen by Vimalaramsi anything even remotely resembling a carefully considered, intelligent criticism at play. It comes across as a self-serving slash and burn approach.
Right before he starts talking about dependent origination he said that you need to be prepared to have the weight of all the oceans on your head because it is so difficult to understand. And then he goes on to explain it in a very, very complicated, hard to understand way. But you see by the way I am showing you, it is easy to understand as long as we have the teachings of the Buddha to explain it to us.
And what did the Buddha say about the ease of understanding paticcasamuppada?
So, I went through all of the vipassana knowledges, I followed the Visuddhimagga for 20 years, and I found it not to be correct. So, I went to the original teachings and with the help of the Sri Lanka [monk ?], I was able put the Visuddhimagga away and just use the suttas. And I have found over the years that I am a very, very unusual monk, because I use the suttas only. Everyone else wants to use what their teachers taught them. And most of what their teachers taught them is from the Visuddhimagga.
If he studied and practiced the Visuddhamagga’s teachings for 20 years, I would think he would be able to talk about those teachings with a great deal of alacrity and clarity than he does (actually he doesn’t at all). He does not seem to have much mastery of the text at all.
So now you see the differences. And you really see them because you are having the direct experience. You see them for yourself whether what I am teaching you is correct or not. By reading the suttas so you know what it says about each jhana, you know what the experience is. So you won’t have to believe me. I don’t want you to believe me. I want you to believe your own experience.
And there is no problem here?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

Tilt wrote: If Buddhaghosa was an arahant according to teacher/student tradition which Vimalaramsi miss-tells, Buddhaghosa was also a meditator, but even assuming that he was not, there is no justification for this bit of character assassination.
->
The Life And Work Of Buddhaghosa quoting the Buddhagosupatti wrote: "Ghosa was ordained and was given Tacakammatthana. On asking the meaning of Tacakammatthana, he received the following reply, 'Meditate upon kesa, loma, nakha, danta, and taco'. All Buddhas realised the fruition of saintship depending or Tacakammatthana. Ghosa listened to it, meditated therupon and became established in the Three Refuges."
legolas

Post by legolas »

Tilt wrote......

"Unquestionably the Visuddhimagga, Mahasi Sayadaw and any number of approaches are open to justified criticism, and this certainly includes the sutta-only approach"

Those pesky Suttas - always getting in the way of real Buddhism.

Perhaps Bhante Vimalaramsi received his knowledge of Buddhaghosa through an unbroken lineage of teachers whose teachings were lost to the rest of the world - only preserved in an unbroken lineage maintained in the American mid-west and whose lineage made itself known at the back end of the 19th century. Or perhaps he received the teachings from a lineage that suddenly appeared in the early 20th century. Who knows.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

legolas wrote:Tilt wrote......

"Unquestionably the Visuddhimagga, Mahasi Sayadaw and any number of approaches are open to justified criticism, and this certainly includes the sutta-only approach"

Those pesky Suttas - always getting in the way of real Buddhism.
Which is a response that really addresses nothing.
Perhaps Bhante Vimalaramsi received his knowledge of Buddhaghosa through an unbroken lineage of teachers whose teachings were lost to the rest of the world - only preserved in an unbroken lineage maintained in the American mid-west and whose lineage made itself known at the back end of the 19th century. Or perhaps he received the teachings from a lineage that suddenly appeared in the early 20th century. Who knows.
Perhaps Vimalaramsi was doing just what it looks like, marching out the straw men:

kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Thanks for taking a closer look at that Tilt. I'm more interested in his interpretation of the jhanas than anything. I take that to be his primary point in criticising Buddhaghosa - that one-pointed concentration to the level of total "absorption" is not what the jhanas are about. What do you think about that point?
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
adeh

Post by adeh »

It's interesting to take into account that Bhante Vimalaramsi's Abhidhamma teacher-and preceptor I think, but don't quote me on that-was the Ven. Sayadaw Silananda, a well known Bhikkhu who had a problem with his blood pressure and only recently passed away in 2005. The centre of his teaching was actually the Visuddhimagga, and he gave many courses and discourses based on the same. I have been told that every time Ven. Vimalaramsi turned up and started explaining his theories about Buddhaghosa, the Venerable Sayadaws blood pressure went through the roof.
Last edited by adeh on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adeh

Post by adeh »

The antagonism towards the Visuddhimagga that Tilt is talking about may have something to do with a general antagonism that I was surprised to find out that many Sri Lankan Buddhists and a few Bhikkhus feel towards Buddhaghosa...the story goes that after he translated the commentaries from Sinhalese into Pali he destroyed the Sinhalese originals, which were a great source of national pride for Sinhalese Buddhists back then and apparently something that is still resented by nationalist Sinhalese Buddhists now...
pulga

Post by pulga »

adeh wrote:The antagonism towards the Visuddhimagga that Tilt is talking about may have something to do with a general antagonism that I was surprised to find out that many Sri Lankan Buddhists and a few Bhikkhus feel towards Buddhaghosa...the story goes that after he translated the commentaries from Sinhalese into Pali he destroyed the Sinhalese originals, which were a great source of national pride for Sinhalese Buddhists back then and apparently something that is still resented by nationalist Sinhalese Buddhists now...
Is that why the Ven. K. Ñánananda is regarded as the "Heretic Sage"? :thinking:
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
adeh

Post by adeh »

I doubt it...
pulga

Post by pulga »

Sinhala Buddhism is founded upon Buddhaghosa and his commentaries. It may be the case that there are Westernized Sinhalese who dismiss him, but for the most part the Sinhalese take pride in having preserved his writings.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
Alexei

Post by Alexei »

Bhikkhu Bodhi's middle way seems to be most healthy approach:
  • To be brief, I would say there are two extreme attitudes one could take to the commentaries. One, often adopted by orthodox Theravadins, is to regard them as being absolutely authoritative almost on a par with the suttas. The other is to disregard them completely and claim they represent “a different take on the Dhamma.” I find that a prudent middle ground is to consult the commentaries and use them, but without clinging to them. Their interpretations are often illuminating, but we should also recognize that they represent a specific systematization of the early teaching. They are by no means necessitated by the early teaching, and on some points even seem to be in tension with it.

http://www.inquiringmind.com/Articles/Translator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;