The Origins of Mahayana

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.

The Origins of Mahayana

Postby Bankei » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 am

Hi

I am interested in early Buddhism and the latest theories regarding the emergence of the Mahayana. Recently there have been a number of studies published and I am just wondering if anyone is up to date on all this - I just haven't got the time (or access) to read the vast amount of materials out there.

One theory is that the Mahayanists were actually forest monks trying to get back to the original teachings of the Buddha away from the Abidharmist influence. Another theory is that Mahayana arose as a result of lay communities centering on Stupa veneration. Another is that it arose out of the Sarvastivada etc etc.

Whats the latest research?

Thanks

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
Bankei

Re: The Origins of Mahayana

Postby Kusala » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:55 am

Bankei wrote:Hi

I am interested in early Buddhism and the latest theories regarding the emergence of the Mahayana. Recently there have been a number of studies published and I am just wondering if anyone is up to date on all this - I just haven't got the time (or access) to read the vast amount of materials out there.

One theory is that the Mahayanists were actually forest monks trying to get back to the original teachings of the Buddha away from the Abidharmist influence. Another theory is that Mahayana arose as a result of lay communities centering on Stupa veneration. Another is that it arose out of the Sarvastivada etc etc.

Thanks

Bankei

Hi Bankei. This article maybe helpful ------> http://www.articlesbase.com/religion-ar ... 54686.html

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Postby ground » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:10 am

Read more: http://www.articlesbase.com/religion-ar ... z1CUZcF5is

While the Theravada is an intellectual religion that requires personal self-effort, the Mahayana believes in salvation through faith and devotion. In the Theravada the Buddha is a discoverer who points out the Path, but in the Mahayana he becomes a saviour by whose grace beings can hope to be redeemed.

There may be popular forms of "Mahayana derivates" for which this holds true but as to the Mahayana teachings in general this is utterly wrong.

... the Mahayana takes much interest in philosophical speculation and ritualism, ...

Not completely unfounded but as a general characterisation it is wrong.

Kind regards
ground

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:16 am

Kusala wrote:

Thanks

Bankei
Whenever one reads: "The other, the Mahasanghikas, later developed into the Mahayana, the term the later Mahasanghikas call themselves" then one can rest assure themselves that it is not the latest scholarship and can be ignored without fear of missing any thing important.

Chapter thrree of Paul Williams' BUDDHIST THOUGHT gives a rather nice look at the issue from the basis of very recent scholarship.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Mr. G » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:23 pm

tiltbillings wrote:Chapter thrree of Paul Williams' BUDDHIST THOUGHT gives a rather nice look at the issue from the basis of very recent scholarship.

The 2nd edition of "Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations" by Williams is great too. It includes the latest research up to 2008. :smile:
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
Mr. G

Postby JIMBOSAN » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Although it's not the latest research - History of Indian Buddhism from Sakayamuni to early Mahayana - Hirakawa Akira is available at scribd.com as a pdf.
JIMBOSAN

Postby Lazy_eye » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks

Bankei

From what I've read, the lay movement theory has been debunked, or at least sustained serious damage -- Jan Nattier's research is worth looking at here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=kl9RXS ... &q&f=false
Lazy_eye

Postby Dmytro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:50 am

Hi,

There's a good book:

Mahāyāna Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations
By Paul Williams

http://books.google.com/books?id=jrHi1a ... frontcover

Best wishes, Dmytro
Dmytro

Postby Nibbida » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 am

"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Postby Dan74 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 am

No, this one:
_/|\_
Dan74

Return to Early Buddhism