The Origins of Mahayana

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Bankei

The Origins of Mahayana

Post by Bankei »

Hi

I am interested in early Buddhism and the latest theories regarding the emergence of the Mahayana. Recently there have been a number of studies published and I am just wondering if anyone is up to date on all this - I just haven't got the time (or access) to read the vast amount of materials out there.

One theory is that the Mahayanists were actually forest monks trying to get back to the original teachings of the Buddha away from the Abidharmist influence. Another theory is that Mahayana arose as a result of lay communities centering on Stupa veneration. Another is that it arose out of the Sarvastivada etc etc.

Whats the latest research?

Thanks

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
Kusala

Re: The Origins of Mahayana

Post by Kusala »

Bankei wrote:Hi

I am interested in early Buddhism and the latest theories regarding the emergence of the Mahayana. Recently there have been a number of studies published and I am just wondering if anyone is up to date on all this - I just haven't got the time (or access) to read the vast amount of materials out there.

One theory is that the Mahayanists were actually forest monks trying to get back to the original teachings of the Buddha away from the Abidharmist influence. Another theory is that Mahayana arose as a result of lay communities centering on Stupa veneration. Another is that it arose out of the Sarvastivada etc etc.

Thanks

Bankei
Hi Bankei. This article maybe helpful ------> http://www.articlesbase.com/religion-ar ... 54686.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
ground

Post by ground »

Read more: http://www.articlesbase.com/religion-ar ... z1CUZcF5is" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While the Theravada is an intellectual religion that requires personal self-effort, the Mahayana believes in salvation through faith and devotion. In the Theravada the Buddha is a discoverer who points out the Path, but in the Mahayana he becomes a saviour by whose grace beings can hope to be redeemed.
There may be popular forms of "Mahayana derivates" for which this holds true but as to the Mahayana teachings in general this is utterly wrong.
... the Mahayana takes much interest in philosophical speculation and ritualism, ...
Not completely unfounded but as a general characterisation it is wrong.

Kind regards
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kusala wrote:

Thanks

Bankei
Whenever one reads: "The other, the Mahasanghikas, later developed into the Mahayana, the term the later Mahasanghikas call themselves" then one can rest assure themselves that it is not the latest scholarship and can be ignored without fear of missing any thing important.

Chapter thrree of Paul Williams' BUDDHIST THOUGHT gives a rather nice look at the issue from the basis of very recent scholarship.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

tiltbillings wrote: Chapter thrree of Paul Williams' BUDDHIST THOUGHT gives a rather nice look at the issue from the basis of very recent scholarship.
The 2nd edition of "Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations" by Williams is great too. It includes the latest research up to 2008. :smile:
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
JIMBOSAN

Post by JIMBOSAN »

Although it's not the latest research - History of Indian Buddhism from Sakayamuni to early Mahayana - Hirakawa Akira is available at scribd.com as a pdf.
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

Thanks

Bankei
From what I've read, the lay movement theory has been debunked, or at least sustained serious damage -- Jan Nattier's research is worth looking at here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=kl9RXS ... &q&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi,

There's a good book:

Mahāyāna Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations
By Paul Williams

http://books.google.com/books?id=jrHi1a ... frontcover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes, Dmytro
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

No, this one:
_/|\_