Wat Dhammakaya

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
exonesion

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Post by exonesion »

GrahamR wrote:Hi

I would agree, it's certainly not regular Buddhist as I know it, and has many similarities to Christian sects: offers of heaven coupled with threats of hell, a strong emphasis on financial matters etc.

Graham
Zom wrote:Ajahn Jayasaro said that Dhammakaya is a very dangerous sect :stirthepot:
They did mention that rebirth into those planes depend on the store of merits everyone have.
“Meditate, Ānanda, do not delay, or else you will regret it later.”
The Buddha - MN 152
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Being an uncountable noun, it's 'merit', not 'merits'...minor, I know, although it seems (to me) to alter the meaning... :focus:
farmer

Post by farmer »

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... d?page=0,1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This photo essay on Wat Dhammakaya is stunning.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

farmer wrote:http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... d?page=0,1

Stunningly frightening, and the central building remarkably ugly.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

tiltbillings wrote:
Stunningly frightening, and the central building remarkably ugly.
If I believe the local real estate agent advertising every second house in my city is stunning.

Perhaps the electrical wiring isn't so good.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

This sort of overly regimented, mass display has been a favorite of Nazi Germany and various Communist regimes. There is simply something very wrong with this.

But at least we know know where this flying saucer is now:

Here:

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Ok, Halemalu, I have a specific question. Will you please describe the meditation technique advocated by this group, and why you believe it is beneficial.
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

tiltbillings wrote:This sort of overly regimented, mass display has been a favorite of Nazi Germany and various Communist regimes.
Criticising this group is one thing, but let's at least try and keep the rhetoric sensible.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Euclid wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:This sort of overly regimented, mass display has been a favorite of Nazi Germany and various Communist regimes.
Criticising this group is one thing, but let's at least try and keep the rhetoric sensible.
Look at the imagery of the massive regimented ceremony. That has nothing to do with the Dhamma, but it has everything to do with the aggrandizement of Dhammakaya organization, and where would you find anything comparable in imagery to those photos?

I am not saying that the Dhammakaya organization is Nazi or Communist in its ideology, but I am saying that such regimentation is an expression of power of an organization over large numbers of human beings. It is a form of muscle flexing.

Euclid

Post by Euclid »

Right then, thanks for clarifying. I agree.
alan

Post by alan »

I would not have used the references, but have to agree with tilt on his general assessment.
Huge groups of people wearing identical outfits standing in large columns just freaks me out. Maybe it is just my individualist tendencies speaking here, but I don't trust any mass movement.
GrahamR

Wat Dhammakaya

Post by GrahamR »

alan wrote:Ok, Halemalu, I have a specific question. Will you please describe the meditation technique advocated by this group, and why you believe it is beneficial.
Butting in on this point, as I recall they follow the breath to their centre (stomach) rather than just at the nose as I was trained to in our tradition, I think you were meant to visualize a sphere there. Personally, I don't object to this and have been taught the same technique by a Japanese teacher previously.

I live in southern Thailand and yesterday evening was talking to my neighbour who has just been on a business trip to the coast. We were discussing Dhamma Kaya and she agreed it is a more a business than a devout organisation. She also said she had seen a 'holiday camp' for their monks who were enjoying activities such as speed boating.
I don't find this group sinister as such, simply financially rather than spiritually orientated.
With metta :bow:
Graham
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

GrahamR wrote:I don't find this group sinister as such, simply financially rather than spiritually orientated.
Money is power, and power . . . .

GrahamR

Wat Dhammakaya

Post by GrahamR »

tiltbillings wrote:I am not saying that the Dhammakaya organization is Nazi or Communist in its ideology, but I am saying that such regimentation is an expression of power of an organization over large numbers of human beings. It is a form of muscle flexing.
I would add that things at Dhamma Kaya are heavily regimented with 'worshippers' in neat rows segregated between men and women. It's not like visiting a normal Thai wat which is a family activity for me. I really don't enjoy the feeling of 'control'
With metta :bow:
Graham
EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow »

Graham, just to let you know that your avatar is little too big and it cuts off the beginning of the sentences on your posts.