Suggestion for the Meditation Forum

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Nibbida

Suggestion for the Meditation Forum

Post by Nibbida »

It occurred to me that it would be useful to have a separate sub-forum in which people can post retreat information. IMS and Goenka have very well-organized websites that show the scheduled retreats. But I find retreats all the time that that are scattered and infrequent, but would be useful for people to know about. It would also be useful to have a list of different centers to check with for retreat schedules.

Like this one by Richard Shankman, for example:
http://www.mettadharma.org/SamadhiandWi ... il2011.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think?
Ben

Re: Suggestion for the Meditation Forum

Post by Ben »

Hi Nibbida

Consider it under discussion between my colleagues and I.
One of us will get back to you with regards to whether it will be implemented.
Thanks for your suggestion!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Good idea I think.
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Maybe the "Announcements" section above could be used to post ongoing retreat centers or their changes in schedule (like Goenka centers, Bhante G's Bhavana Society, IMS, etc.), and the posts section below could be used to post the scheduled retreats of certain teachers (e.g. Leigh Brasington, Richard Shankman, etc.), or sporadic events. I don't know if that organization would be better.

This just occurred to me because when I'm looking for a retreat, I feel like I'm on an Easter egg hunt. It's a haphazard search through the internet. And what I come up with is partly due to choice. This would increase one's odds of finding something accessible.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

There was a similar forum on E sangha which was one of the few forae from which the blood did not have to be hosed down on a regular basis...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Nibbida,

After some consideration, we'd suggest that this would probably be best managed through a "pinned topic" in the Meditation forum.

If you wish, start up a topic outlining some of the centres and retreat info you have that will kick us of, and then a staff member will "pin" the topic, so that it appears in the Announcements section of the Meditation (General) forum, rather than just being in Topics.

If over time this isn't sufficient, we'll consider a separate sub-forum, but for now I think this approach will be sufficient.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."