Bhikkhu Ñanananda

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran

Re: Bhikkhu Ñanananda

Post by cooran »

How fortunate you are! :clap: What will be the circumstances of your meeting?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Regarding the Nyanatiiloka Dictionary:
mikenz66 wrote:
Only few and minor revisions have been made to the text of the Fourth Edition which is now issued by the Buddhist Publication Society.
NYANAPONIKA :
Kandy, Sri Lanka
March 1980
It would be interesting to know if the comment was added in 1970 or 1980. Presumably Ven Nyanaponika would have already seen Ven Nanananda's work at that point, though the book did not come out until 1971, since, as I understand it, he encouraged Ven Nanananda to publish it.
I realised I could answer my own question, since my paper reproduction of the Dictionary is the 1970 version, and it does not include the comment about Ven Nanananda's analysis, which must have been added in 1980.

:anjali:
Mike
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

rowyourboat wrote:I just wanted to share some good news: I will be meeting Ven Nananda for 2-3 hours in a few days time. :bow:
Sweet! How did you manage that?
alan

Post by alan »

ryb,
Great!
What questions have you prepared?
Looking forward to your response to this encounter. Please share!
jackson

Post by jackson »

Hey everyone,
I asked earlier in this thread if anyone knew where I could get a hard copy of the Nibbana Sermons, and today I was delighted to discover that 25 of them have been printed as a book titled: Nibbana: The Mind Stilled, and it is available on Amazon.com. Here's the link : http://www.amazon.com/Nibbana-Stilled-V ... 860&sr=8-1 . Apparently this edition was published last july, I'm really looking forward to sitting down with this!
Metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello jackson,

thanks for this! I got on-line and ordered two copies ... one for me and one for the Library at the monastery. :smile:

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello rowyourboat,

Tell us about your meeting with Bhikkhu Ñanananda. :smile:

with metta
Chris
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Thanks Jackson,

I also got two copies. One for me and one for the Buddhist center I practice with. I had already printed a copy but I failed to keep the diacritics from printing strangely. Also I expect this copy will be formatted far better.

Metta

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi All,

I'm back from my trip to Sri Lanka -it was amazing to be in a such a spiritually saturated country (especially if you understand Sinhalese!). There has been such a great revival of buddhist teaching there..

In any case- I met Ven Nananda a few weeks ago. He was an amazingly intelligent man/monk! He would answer my questions before I finished asking them! He was extremely 'quick on the draw', even though he was in his 80's!

We had an interesting discussion on 'whirlpool' simile, which he is famous for. Incidentally I believe this is from one of his nibbana sermons which I believe can be found on this website:

http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing which struck me was his humbleness in being able to entertain new ways of looking at things, considering what a learned monk he is. He was very kind and generous- he gave me loads of his books free of charge to be given to people in UK. I have already given a batch of books to Ajhan Amaro at Amarawati monastery in UK. I'm hoping to give the other batch to Chithurst (incidentally I spotted one of our dhammawheel regulars who had got samanera ordination there! I think his name is 'Manapa').

Ven Nananda lives in a simple 'kuti' or hut/'cell' under a rock in a remote place in Sri Lanka (off Kegalle) - he does not accept money (an offer was kindly refused- he called it a 'snake'!). He I believe lives off one meal a day. The forest monastery is quite small and houses a few other monks who live with only basic amenities.

It was quite inspiring meeting this monk- he felt concerned that the deep dhammas were disappearing from the world and people wanted to simply listen to feel good dharma- hence his teachings on Nibbana- more than 20 of them!

So that is my story- if you have any further questions feel free to ask- I will answer them if I can!

with metta

Matheesha (RYB)
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Sounds quite a bit like most stories of visiting him, funnily enough. Neat, though.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Kenshou wrote:Sounds quite a bit like most stories of visiting him, funnily enough. Neat, though.
Really? Have you come across other stories of visiting him then?
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Yeah, I've come across a few of them scattered around the internet, though I haven't bothered to save all the locations.

It's not a bad thing by any means, I just happened to notice the similarity. I'm sure it was a good experience.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

In case people hadn't noticed, the Wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katukurund ... ished_Work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has links to more Nibbana Sermons, i.e.
Nibbana - The Mind Stilled (Vol. VI), Dharma Grantha Mudrana Bharaya, 2010, ISBN 978-955-1255-33-6 has Sermons 26 to 30 (and has a PDF to download). So there still seem to be 3 to go...

Mike
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

mikenz66 wrote:In case people hadn't noticed, the Wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katukurund ... ished_Work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has links to more Nibbana Sermons, i.e.
Nibbana - The Mind Stilled (Vol. VI), Dharma Grantha Mudrana Bharaya, 2010, ISBN 978-955-1255-33-6 has Sermons 26 to 30 (and has a PDF to download). So there still seem to be 3 to go...
That's great news. I looked around on the site where that file is hosted (nibbana_the_mind_stilled_VI.pdf)... seems like they also have the sermons 31-33 here: nibbana_the_mind_stilled_VII.pdf. Now looks like it's complete!

dharmaamrita

Post by dharmaamrita »

rowyourboat wrote:Hi All,

I'm back from my trip to Sri Lanka -it was amazing to be in a such a spiritually saturated country (especially if you understand Sinhalese!). There has been such a great revival of buddhist teaching there..

In any case- I met Ven Nananda a few weeks ago. He was an amazingly intelligent man/monk! He would answer my questions before I finished asking them! He was extremely 'quick on the draw', even though he was in his 80's!

We had an interesting discussion on 'whirlpool' simile, which he is famous for. Incidentally I believe this is from one of his nibbana sermons which I believe can be found on this website:

http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing which struck me was his humbleness in being able to entertain new ways of looking at things, considering what a learned monk he is. He was very kind and generous- he gave me loads of his books free of charge to be given to people in UK. I have already given a batch of books to Ajhan Amaro at Amarawati monastery in UK. I'm hoping to give the other batch to Chithurst (incidentally I spotted one of our dhammawheel regulars who had got samanera ordination there! I think his name is 'Manapa').

Ven Nananda lives in a simple 'kuti' or hut/'cell' under a rock in a remote place in Sri Lanka (off Kegalle) - he does not accept money (an offer was kindly refused- he called it a 'snake'!). He I believe lives off one meal a day. The forest monastery is quite small and houses a few other monks who live with only basic amenities.

It was quite inspiring meeting this monk- he felt concerned that the deep dhammas were disappearing from the world and people wanted to simply listen to feel good dharma- hence his teachings on Nibbana- more than 20 of them!

So that is my story- if you have any further questions feel free to ask- I will answer them if I can!

with metta

Matheesha (RYB)
That's wonderful! I'm hoping to share a similar experience. I know this question is flimsy, but did you feel like you were in the presence of an Arahant or an Anagami?

Metta