the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
rowyourboat

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by rowyourboat »

Sasana wrote:I'll throw in my 2 cents!

I fall into the category of not really proclaiming to know either way and focusing on the here and now as it's knowable.

This is not to discount the Buddha's teachings, but I don't think practice changes with or without it as long as we stay on the path as much as possible thats what matters.

I suppose thats how I see the middle way, with extreme's in view comes clinging and attachment :D

:buddha1:

With Metta,

Adam
Hi Adam

I think practice does change when a person starts to believe in rebirth- it becomes more essential to end the rounds of rebirth -therefore the person will put in more effort into the practice - hence progress further along the path.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

rowyourboat wrote:I think practice does change when a person starts to believe in rebirth- it becomes more essential to end the rounds of rebirth -therefore the person will put in more effort into the practice - hence progress further along the path.
This can go both ways though. For some people the assumption of only 1 life to practice can impart a greater sense of urgency and more effort. And since we don't know what will happen to us tomorrow, let alone in some future lifetime, why speculate?

Spiny
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
rowyourboat wrote:I think practice does change when a person starts to believe in rebirth- it becomes more essential to end the rounds of rebirth -therefore the person will put in more effort into the practice - hence progress further along the path.
This can go both ways though. For some people the assumption of only 1 life to practice can impart a greater sense of urgency and more effort. And since we don't know what will happen to us tomorrow, let alone in some future lifetime, why speculate?

Spiny
I guess that we can all agree then ,that the important thing here is practice. :woohoo:
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Nanadhaja wrote:
Spiny O'Norman wrote:

Spiny
I guess that we can all agree then ,that the important thing here is practice. :woohoo:
With metta

Yes indeed. It's absolutely essential to always keep practising, no matter what anyone else says or does !

:anjali:
Sasana

Post by Sasana »

Nanadhaja wrote:
Spiny O'Norman wrote:

Spiny
With metta
Bhante,

Very well said, I think becoming too attached to these ideas could possibly have a negative effect on practice so until it is proven correct, investigate, practice and through insight one can most probably make an informed decision as to whether it is something they believe or not.

Better to be open to new ideas then closed minded, it's through open mindedness we came to the Buddhas teachings.

So it maybe true for some that practice now is on the forefront of the mind because of the idea of stopping rebirths, for others its imperative because there is but one life to attain enlightenment, two paths to the one destination.

With Metta,

Adam
"If the problem can be solved there's no use worrying about it, if it cant worrying will do no good." - 7 years in Tibet

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - The Buddha
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

So it maybe true for some that practice now is on the forefront of the mind because of the idea of stopping rebirths, for others its imperative because there is but one life to attain enlightenment, two paths to the one destination.

Or there is having no notions or views about one life, two lives or a million lives

:)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

clw_uk wrote: Or there is having no notions or views about one life, two lives or a million lives

hehe having no notions! but what will I do without my notions! :tantrum:
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

clw_uk wrote:

Or there is having no notions or views about one life, two lives or a million lives

Is that due to lack of knowledge or extreme agnosticism?

If there was only one life, then what would be the point of practice? Why wouldn't one simply take strong medicine to tranquillize bad mental states? We all would attain parinibbāna at death. In fact one could attain it even quicker... That would be a very rational choice...If that was the case, then I could end all my daily physical pain quickly...

As someone has said: "Life is beautiful once you find the right anti-depressant".
ground

Post by ground »

clw_uk wrote: Or there is having no notions or views about one life, two lives or a million lives
That sounds nice. But please consider to observe yourself mindfully when you leave the computer. Do you really abide in a state beyond time? If not then you are trapped :)
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Alex123 wrote:
If there was only one life, then what would be the point of practice? Why wouldn't one simply take strong medicine to tranquillize bad mental states? We all would attain parinibbāna at death. In fact one could attain it even quicker... That would be a very rational choice...If that was the case, then I could end all my daily physical pain quickly...

As someone has said: "Life is beautiful once you find the right anti-depressant".
The fact remains, Alex123, that there are plenty of practitioners, like myself, who prefer to remain neutral about this matter, and just don't think about post- mortem rebirth at all, but let all that mental spinning and speculating go, in favor of present moment awareness.

Lets see again what Ajahn Sumedho is saying here in "The sound of Silence"
The historical Buddha refered to previous lives in the scriptures and things like this, but for me these things are speculative. Maybe you can remember previous lives, but I have no such memory. So all I know is from the here and now. We’re talking about direct knowing rather than Buddhist theory or Buddhist doctrine.
When Ajahn Chah taught about rebirth, he did so in the context of paticcasumappada, or dependent origination. He was talking about the kind of rebirth you can actually witness in daily life; birth is the beginning, death is the ending. How many rebirths have you gone through today, mentally ? What is born dies; what arises, ceases. Rebirth in this sense is actually provable.

In the paticcasamuppada, through desire (tanha) comes attachment (upadana), and then attachment leads to becoming (bhava), becoming leads to rebirth, and rebirth leads to suffering. Jati (birth) is the result of grasping desire. I quite like the idea of reincarnation and rebirth, on a theoretical level. I’ve no bias against it, but it is speculative and it’s conceptual.”

Ajahn Sumedho
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Aloka wrote: The fact remains, Alex123, that there are plenty of practitioners, like myself, who prefer to remain neutral about this matter, and just don't think about post- mortem rebirth at all, but let all that mental spinning and speculating go, in favor of present moment awareness.
Whenever one acts, it is due to a certain goal. Action is dependent on beliefs. The belief in danger of samsara is a required condition for action to get out of it. The more afraid you are of burning house, the more effort is produced to get out ASAP!

If we limit samsara and its danger to one life only, then the limited understanding of danger will produce limited sense of danger, and limited effort to get out.

Ultimately, even bare aggregates, devoid of clinging (which is very hard to achieve within one life. How many anagamis or arahants are there?), produce lots of pain... There would be an easy way to get rid of all bodily pain, and various painful events that can occur despite one's lack of present clinging.

With metta,

Alex
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Alex123 wrote:
If we limit samsara and its danger to one life only, then the limited understanding of danger will produce limited sense of danger, and limited effort to get out.

Not for me. Speculating about the possibility of a future life as an ant, or roasting in a hot hell being poked by forks just seems pointless!

I'll take my chances and do my best in this life, thanks. I've been lucky and have had/have very good offline teachers so far. :smile:
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Aloka wrote: Not for me. Speculating about the possibility of a future life as an ant, or roasting in a hot hell being poked by forks just seems pointless!
It is not pointless if it motivates you to strive harder.

Besides, the Buddha did teach about continuation after death. Buddha taught strict conditionality, where kamma inevitably brings kammavipāka. So what if kamma is made by the last moment of mind? It inevitably will follow with a corresponding vipāka, in the new body. So rejection or agnosticism about rebirth, is also agnosticism about a crucial teaching of kamma and kammavipāka.

For example in MN144, Bhikkhu Channa used the knife for suicide. But he became an Arahant before death. The Buddha has said:
if someone gives up this body and seizes another, I say it is a fault. In the bhikkhu that fault is not apparent. Bhikkhu Channa took his life faultlessly.
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ada-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think it means about not seizing another body, when this body dies (Ven. Channa used the knife). If there was one life, then death as a worldling and death as an Arahat would bring the same result and disregard the vital teaching on kamma & kammavipāka.

What about MN129 and MN130?
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ita-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In MN130 (Devaduta sutta) the Buddha clearly has stated about Hell,
``Bhikkhus, I say this not hearing from another recluse or brahmin, this is what I have myself known and seen and so I say it.
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... uta-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With metta,

Alex
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Alex123 wrote:
It is not pointless if it motivates you to strive harder.

"Striving" doesn't do it for me, Alex. Relaxing and letting go of all that extra mental baggage does.

" The Buddhist teaching is ultimate simplicity and it takes things to the the most simple level of pure awareness -and that's so simple that most people never really get it.

We have to make Buddhism more complex -especially for lay people!" - chuckles

(Ajahn Sumedho - Amaravati Kathina.)
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

TMingyur wrote:
That sounds nice. But please consider to observe yourself mindfully when you leave the computer. Do you really abide in a state beyond time? If not then you are trapped :)
Do you T.Mingyur ? Abide in a state beyond time....if not you are in no position to give sermons to anyone else. You are just parroting stuff you believe. Its provenance might be impeccable.....but its all second hand.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.