Ordination of 500 Monks and Nuns 2010

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Hanzze

Ordination of 500 Monks and Nuns 2010

Post by Hanzze »

I thought it is maybe interesting for you to see some Dhamma activity in Cambodia.

We were happy to be part of this special Inauguration Event that takes place in Cambodia every year since 2008 and is an introduction into buddhism and a teaching in ethics and morality for youngsters up from 12 years old.
Its duration for 8 nights and 7 days is meant to bring all the participants close to the 10 silas (moral precepts) an ordained person has to keep.
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
pilgrim

Re: Ordination of 500 Monks and Nuns 2010

Post by pilgrim »

Hello Hanzze, Can you advise which organisation organised this?
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

pilgrim wrote:Hello Hanzze, Can you advise which organisation organised this?
A group of 5 young Monks, I guess it is good to put it not into an organization even if they have. They did everything by them self.
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Thankyou for posting this Hanzze.Truly an inspiration to see.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Viriya

Post by Viriya »

:anjali: I hope they all make lots of merit and achieve good foundations in meditation and morality. :D

This makes me so happy. :twothumbsup:
I'm not very good at right speech, although I try, so please guide and correct me if necessary so I don't make bad kamma for myself and cause others to be annoyed. (=
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Wouldn't such a short, accessible ordination will make these kids believe that they have already accomplished what it takes to become a monk, and may therefore put little effort into the personal development expected of monks?

'Been there, done that.'
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Temporary ordination is a common practice in Burma.

I encourage it. Very few will abuse the opportunity, most will get some benefit by learning Dhamma and practising meditation seriously for perhaps the first time in their lives. One or two may decide to stay or return later to ordain permanently.

If young men and women enter the Sangha and get some basic education and training, at least they will realise something about monastic life, and better appreciate the value of supporting the Sangha.

If you get a chance to ordain even for a brief period then take it — the opportunity might not come again for many aeons if you miss meeting Metteyya Buddha due to defective morality.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear Bhikkhu Pesala,

thank you for the good explaining!
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Hanzze

Thanks for this wonderful post. it is heartening to see the developments in Cambodi. These incredibly Buddhist countries have lost their way a little bit but I hope with the efforts of great and enterprising monks like this the Buddha's dhamma will take off the ground again there. I have seen this happening gradually in Sri Lanka where Buddhism almost died out and is flourishing again especially with great influx of monks who can deliver dhamma sermons very skilfully over the media (tv, radio). I hope Cambodia will develop their own great dhamma educators over the coming years. This has lead to very deep dhamma being discussed by the general population and meditation centres popping up like mushrooms! Young people have started meditating for the first time and are enthusiastic about the dhamma. It is very encourging to see this happening. Asian cultures are already primed to recieve the dhamma by the very fact that dhamma has at an earlier age has shaped those cultures. I hope things will go very well in Cambodia!

with metta and mudita!

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear rowyourboat,

yes, it is similar here.
Just that! *smile*