Volunteers for Kathina at Amaravati

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Cittasanto

Volunteers for Kathina at Amaravati

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi All
incase anyone doesn't know what a kathina is - from Amaravati's site
A Kathina Ceremony will be held at Amaravati Buddhist Monastery on Sunday, 14 November. This day is a celebration in which the lay community offers robe-cloth to the Sangha which has spent the Vassa (Rains Retreat) together. Kathina is a very happy, warm-hearted time for celebration. It is a time to come together, focusing on the single act of generosity of offering the cloth.
it is on sunday the 14th november, and as this will be the last time Luang Por Sumedho is going to be here, there is expected to be a very large number of visitors (approximately double the number than last year), so if anyone would like to volunteer please send me a PM with your E-mail address and I will pass it on to the co-ordinator of the volunteers!

I volunteered last year and will be involved again this year (in some capacity as yet undecided but a suggestion has been made and I have agreed, although there is some uncertainty as to my role as I havn't been told something officially yet :)) and found it fun, although cold and wet :) there is allot of help needed due to the expected increase of attendees.

If you live far away and want to come and volunteer still send me your e-mail as there was some suggestions as to how to help people who wished to help but may not be able to come due to distance issues.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Hanzze

Re: Volunteers for Kathina at Amaravati

Post by Hanzze »

Wish you joy and power. Maybe you can post the adress including the country :-) or some links.

Thanks for your dana!
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

It's in the UK: http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.p ... contact_us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Ytrog wrote:It's in the UK: http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.p ... contact_us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Hanzze wrote:
Ytrog wrote:It's in the UK: http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.p ... contact_us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice center and whoow a lot of sangha members, quiet a little far I would like to be there. Thanks for sharing!
I would like to be there as well. I hope next year's retreat calendar is coming online soon. They said it would be this month.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
kirana

Post by kirana »

Manapa wrote:Hi All
incase anyone doesn't know what a kathina is - from Amaravati's site
A Kathina Ceremony will be held at Amaravati Buddhist Monastery on Sunday, 14 November. This day is a celebration in which the lay community offers robe-cloth to the Sangha which has spent the Vassa (Rains Retreat) together. Kathina is a very happy, warm-hearted time for celebration. It is a time to come together, focusing on the single act of generosity of offering the cloth.
it is on sunday the 14th november, and as this will be the last time Luang Por Sumedho is going to be here, there is expected to be a very large number of visitors (approximately double the number than last year), so if anyone would like to volunteer please send me a PM with your E-mail address and I will pass it on to the co-ordinator of the volunteers!

I volunteered last year and will be involved again this year (in some capacity as yet undecided but a suggestion has been made and I have agreed, although there is some uncertainty as to my role as I havn't been told something officially yet :)) and found it fun, although cold and wet :) there is allot of help needed due to the expected increase of attendees.

If you live far away and want to come and volunteer still send me your e-mail as there was some suggestions as to how to help people who wished to help but may not be able to come due to distance issues.
excuse me, how i address u (I only saw u are shaved-head).
the volunteered means who one would like to help this monastery, right?
if i can help, i also love to help, unfortunately im living at far place.
pls attach the photos that event.

mettacittena,