New Early Buddhism sub-forum

Includes our Terms Of Service (please read first)

New Early Buddhism sub-forum

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:53 am

Greetings,

I just wanted to bring to your attention the following new sub-forum in the General Dhamma section...

Early Buddhism
Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.

Link to subforum: viewforum.php?f=29

In the very embryonic days of Dhamma Wheel we did have an Early Buddhism forum but we removed it as we neither had the traffic, nor enough collective interest in the subject to do it justice. Thankfully both of these factors have changed (with many thanks to venerable Paññāsikhara, in particular) and we're able to trial this concept once more.

If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions with regards to this new sub-forum, please feel free to comment!

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: New Early Buddhism sub-forum

Postby BlackBird » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:57 am

Good on ya mate

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby seanpdx » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:37 pm

Excellent! This is great! =)
seanpdx

Postby Fede » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm

(I'll try to apply myself, but if the later Theravada Buddhism boggles me, I'm not too optimistic.....)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby Tex » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:19 am

Great idea, thanks!
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby adeh » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Great news.....
adeh

Postby bodom » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Much welcome addition. Glad to see it's back.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Great!
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Return to Announcements