Dana of software to the Buddhist community

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Ben

Dana of software to the Buddhist community

Post by Ben »

Dear Ben,

some days ago, Mr. Florian Effenberger as a representative manager of the undertaking "The Document Foundation " has given consciously the whole product palette for the monastic Sangha and has furthermore given it also free to use for the whole Buddhist Laity community consciously (!).

I thought it would be more than useful within your community as well to provide people who are up to good work, to be able to do it without the need of taking what is not given and maybe one or the other has not the money to buy such.

It is hereby given for the community of DW as well. May you accept the gift personal and/or may you forward it to the receiver.

You may find more info here: "LibreOffice" für die Sangha und für buddhistische Laien

Mr. Florian Effenberger as a representative manager of the undertaking "The Document Foundation " has given the whole product palette for the monastic Sangha and has furthermore given it also free to use for the whole Buddhist Laity community.

In regard of further Info and detail communication, please see:LibreOffice im Thema "[Requisites] Software requests for monastics- Software Anfragen für Klösterliche"

Mr. Effenberger was very endeavor to make everything in the right way and thought a lot of who he could do best to make it useable for Monks and Nuns. He even wished to ask everybody in detail which language and system he/she runs and would even have send all directly. As all of that has required a lot of datas and he also likes to keep everybody updated with the newest version, he offered the whole download link of the "The Document Foundation" for free use and so the laypeople can make the last necessary step and bring it from there direct on a datastore in what kind ever to the monks and nuns.

http://de.libreoffice.org/download/

Please feel invited to make use of it and also to share it with others in a consciously way.

For english language download, please use http://libroffice.org/download/ the present is given in every language it is available and those are many.

May you accept the gift.

Anumodana!

metta & mudita
Please join me in expressing sympathetic joy on the meritorious gift of Mr. Florian Effenberger and the generosity of Hannse to share this dana with the Dhamma Wheel community.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Re: Dana of software to the Buddhist community

Post by BlackBird »

Mudita!

This will be very handy.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Ben,

I certainly appreciate the work of the Document Foundation and I've used Libre Office for quite a while (and OpenOffice before that). However, I'm little confused by the message, since Libre Office is already provided free to anyone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

:anjali:
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Mike

I am merely passing on the message that I received in my email. I am not familiar with the package and was not aware that it was already offered as freeware.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Ben,

I certainly appreciate the work of the Document Foundation and I've used Libre Office for quite a while (and OpenOffice before that). However, I'm little confused by the message, since Libre Office is already provided free to anyone:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

Mike
Seems a bit confusing doesn't it. When I clicked the page I did think it was strange but I expected I would have to enter some code or something on install that would validate it, but no. It's freeware.

So why are they saying they're offering it to the Sangha and to Dhammawheel when it's already offered to everyone in the world for free. Seems a bit strange :|
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I guess the point is that if one wants an Office suite (Wordprocessor, Spreadsheet, Presentation, ...) one can use Libre Office (or one of the other Open Office descendents) freely, rather than buying or pirating Microsoft's product.

Libre Office's interface is quite similar to the Microsoft Office 2003 version, and if you stick to saving as .doc, .xls, .ppt format (rather than the .docx, etc format introduced in the MS 2007 version) then exchanging documents usually works OK. If I didn't have to deal with documents and spreadsheets created with recent versions of MS Office (which don't translate well) as part of my job, I would be happy to stick with Libre Office.

Mike