Web hosting upgrades

Includes our Terms Of Service (please read first)

Web hosting upgrades

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:33 pm

:hello:

Sorry about the down times lately. If you have seen our messages at Dhamma Wheel on facebook, then you already know what is going on. In case anyone hasn't seen that:

We got too big!! This is a good thing; for Dhamma propagation, that is. We got so big that the shared server we were using was about to crash. The web hosting company shut us down, we were so big with too many hits per day. All of the TheDhamma.com websites are tallied together in terms of hits and Dhamma Wheel, Dharma Wheel (Mahayana), and Dhamma Wiki were receiving thousands of hits per day, overloading the shared server.

So we have upgraded to a Virtual Private Server (VPS) Gold package which means that all TheDhamma.com sites will be on their own dedicated virtual server; not shared with other sites. We should be able to handle somewhere near one million hits per day without a problem from now on. Previously I thought that there needed to be around one million posts or so here at Dhamma Wheel before we needed an upgrade, but guess I was wrong and underestimated the amount of traffic we were receiving.

Dharma Wheel has been receiving an especially high number of hits recently and we are still in the process of transferring that database to the new server. Hopefully, Dharma Wheel (Mahayana) will be back online by this time tomorrow.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Web hosting upgrades

Postby appicchato » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Kudos Dr. Snyder...
appicchato

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks Bhante! :bow:

Special thanks to our ordained Sangha members here, Ben, Retro, the other moderating staff, AND all the lay people and other participants here. Any fool with a little money can start a website or forum, but it takes a great community to make it something this special. A website with no one visiting or participating is useless.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:54 pm

And here was me worrying about another Denial of Service attack ... 'too big' is a much better problem to have.
:clap: :clap:

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Ben » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Thank you David.
Much merit to you, my friend!
with metta,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 am

Thanks Ben; merit shared with everyone here. :group:

Attention: all Dharma Wheel (Mahayana) members:

Dharma Wheel has just gone back online on the new server! You may still be receiving a sign that says "technical difficulties, we will be back tomorrow." Just hit the refresh button and DWM will appear. The technical difficulties sign may still be in your cache.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:06 am

Thank you David for your dhamma dana. I rejoice in your imeasurable merit! :smile:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby puppha » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:54 am

Many thanks for your noble efforts, David! :anjali:
puppha

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:59 am

If you are reading this, you probably are not having any problems reaching this site or logging-in, but if you know someone who is still having problems, please let them know that it is most likely their computer storing the old DNS IP. Have them follow these instructions:

Go to start menu
Go to run
type in: ipconfig /flushdns
enter

That will flush out the old DNS IPs that the computer stores in the cache for quicker browsing. Our website IPs all changed with the upgrade to the new server.

(there is a space between ipconfig and /flushdns)

Or have them try this link for other operating systems:
http://www.techiecorner.com/35/how-to-f ... ndows-mac/
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:00 am

Thanks David!
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby m0rl0ck » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Many thanks for the hard work of the dhammawheel.com team :thumbsup:
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby David2 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:27 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:Many thanks for the hard work of the dhammawheel.com team :thumbsup:

+1
dhammawheel is my favorite website on the internet. :thumbsup:
David2

Postby Birgit » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Thank you for your hard, time-consuming work for Dhamma Wheel! :thumbsup:
You, just as you are, can meet life on its own terms, taking delight in that which is enjoyable without clinging to it while also living with what is difficult and unpleasant without contracting into resistance to it. To dance with life is to meet life on its terms to be at ease, even enjoy the ever-changing interplay without clinging. Philip Moffit: Dancing with Life page 91/92
Birgit

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:52 am

Some more info; hope it is helpful for those who are still experiencing problems:

How to clear DNS cache for Windows and OS X:
http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/A ... owserCache

I heard from my webmaster that if you are able to access the site via a proxy, then the problem has to be with your computer, lack of dns flush or something, not the Dharma Wheel / Dhamma Wheel site here.

Here is another site he just showed me:
http://www.isup.me/

Be sure to check this isup.me site; it's pretty cool which you can use to check so many other sites too.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Greetings,

David N. Snyder wrote:I heard from my webmaster that if you are able to access the site via a proxy, then the problem has to be with your computer, lack of dns flush or something, not the Dharma Wheel / Dhamma Wheel site here.

Typical webmaster response... :tongue:

Nonetheless, it's good to see all the kinks are gradually working themselves out.

:twothumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Announcements