POTUS 2016, part 3

The best place for the discussion of current events and politics. A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
48%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
26%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
9%
Jill Stein (Green)
18%

Total votes: 80

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

POTUS 2016, part 3

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Okay here is the final installment, the final act, POTUS 2016, part 3. I thought Jill Stein already chose her running mate, but see it will not be until next month. Hillary Clinton will probably announce her selection later this week, so might as well go and do the final poll for POTUS. You can change your vote if you want to if the running mate changes anything for you.

As before, non-Americans can choose who they would like to see win.

Khalil Bodhi

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:02 pm

I really don't want anyone on the list but chose Stein. I absolutely don't want Trump/Pence so I'll make due with anything short of that.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:35 pm

A man is lying in a hospital bed, having been in a coma for the past 20 years. He wakes up and asks "what year is this?" Answer: 2016. He then asks, "who are the candidates for president?"

Answer: An ex-intern's former boyfriend's wife versus Donald Trump. The patient says "good God, is there any other choice?"
Answer: The Libertarian candidate who just announced he hasn't had any marijuana in 3 weeks now.
Patient: "Good night!" and goes back to his coma.

:mrgreen:

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:21 pm

Hey! It was 8 weeks! :P

As much as I dread right wing economic policies and the corruption orgy with corporations, I very much like to be alive. Therefore I dread even more the record breaking lunatic, Donald Trump; lunatics who, on foreign policy issues, have the intelligence of a toddler; and corrupt lunatics who want to promote a regressive and anti-science agenda and betray every value I hold dear as a liberal. If it has to be the pothead, then so be it.

To quote Obama on the White House correspondents dinner: "The end of the Republic has never looked so great! :) "
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:41 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote: If it has to be the pothead, then so be it.

:thumbsup: At least he's anti-war, non-interventionist, against death penalty; not bad on an ahimsa scale compared to Hillary the hawk and Trump who wants to allow torture.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:34 am

Disregarding what we may or may not want, the reality is that the winner will most likely be Hillary Clinton.
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... -forecast/

Clinton will probably win around 300 to 320 electoral votes to about 218 to 238 for Trump with the minor party candidates getting zero (you have to get the most votes in a state to win an individual state's electoral votes).

It will be a landslide to near-landslide for Hillary. The demographics just are no longer there for the traditional Republican values to win any more. The Republicans are going to go the way of the Whigs or if they do survive, they are going to need to morph into something else. The demographics of America have changed.

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:54 am

Not that you have to answer, but who's voting for TP?
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
My Practice Blog:

No_Mind

Postby No_Mind » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:44 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:The demographics just are no longer there for the traditional Republican values to win any more. The Republicans are going to go the way of the Whigs or if they do survive, they are going to need to morph into something else. The demographics of America have changed.

It is interesting to note that George W. Bush has told a group of former aides "I'm worried that I will be the last Republican president."

Did he mean that Republican Party will never win another Presidential election or did he mean that if an outsider like Donald Trump can perform a hostile takeover of the party, a traditional Republican will never be President again.
I know one thing: that I know nothing

No_Mind

Postby No_Mind » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:55 pm

I have over the past year developed a grudging admiration for Trump (though I do not agree with his politics).

I watched the first two seasons of "The Apprentice" and often wondered if he could personally achieve the tough tasks he asked the participants to deliver upon. But he has participated in the toughest season of "The Apprentice" so far -- namely US Presidential elections 2016 -- and has at least ensured second place for himself.

He has many faults but he does not lack guts and chutzpah. Say what you will but give the devil his due.

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:20 am

Yes, the devil is very very good at a exploiting peoples fears and weaknesses....good at dividing people and extracting power from one side while vilifying the other side. If the devil wasn't good at doing this then we wouldn't be here talking about him.
chownah

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:34 am

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:56 am

Khalil Bodhi wrote:... I absolutely don't want Trump/Pence so I'll make due with anything short of that.

That's what his guy is saying - http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/07/19/24362128/dan-savage-on-jill-stein-just-no and (IMO) he's right (although I would be okay with about 1000 fewer obscenities :rolleye: ).

:coffee:
Kim

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:12 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Khalil Bodhi wrote:... I absolutely don't want Trump/Pence so I'll make due with anything short of that.

That's what his guy is saying - http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/07/19/24362128/dan-savage-on-jill-stein-just-no and (IMO) he's right (although I would be okay with about 1000 fewer obscenities :rolleye: ).

Kim

He's right, of course (IMO too). It's the worst I've ever seen it here and does't look like it will improve any time soon. Trump is a symptom of a deeper sickness in America and I'm afraid to see how this all plays out...
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

sattva

Postby sattva » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Khalil Bodhi wrote:
Kim OHara wrote:

Kim

He's right, of course (IMO too). It's the worst I've ever seen it here and does't look like it will improve any time soon. Trump is a symptom of a deeper sickness in America and I'm afraid to see how this all plays out...

I agree.
Buddhist Lounge and Chat
Where everybody doesn't know your name, but we're awfully glad you came.
http://us20.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Buddhists Singles Chat
Welcome to Buddhist Singles Chat! Dharma, love, togetherness, commitment, walking the Path, kalyanamitta partners is the purpose of this room. OPEN CHAT HOURS: FRIDAYS 9 am EST until MONDAY 9 am EST
http://us21.chatzy.com/64045572939910

No_Mind

Postby No_Mind » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:53 am

Pretty good speech by Trump. Nothing Hillary can say next week will top his energy level -- and an energetic Hillary begins to start barking as we have seen before :lol:

Despite what late night comedians say .. Hillary has her work cut out for her till November. She underestimates Trump at her own peril.

Between this person

phpBB [video]

and this person

phpBB [video]

as leader of your country ....

I don't envy you.

pulga

Postby pulga » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:15 am

The movie version of "Clinton Cash" comes out on Monday. Little wonder why she destroyed the 33,000 emails that the FBI requested from her.

Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:35 pm

Hillary, I guess.

I don't trust Hillary Clinton to tell me the truth or to admit when she's made a mistake, and that's a shame. But I trust her infinitely more in discussions with allies like Merkel and not-allies like Putin than I'll ever trust Donald Trump. He's nothing more than a salesman and a self-promoter and he shows all the warning signs of becoming a megalomaniac and a fascist, if we're foolish enough enough to give him power.

And as offensive as Trump has been over the past several months, this really is him on his best behavior. It's frightening to ponder what he hasn't said.

Fortunately, I don't think he can win.

Right?
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Tex wrote:Fortunately, I don't think he can win.

Right?

The rest of the world certainly hopes so.

Kim

No_Mind

Postby No_Mind » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:05 am

Tex wrote:And as offensive as Trump has been over the past several months, this really is him on his best behavior. It's frightening to ponder what he hasn't said.

Fortunately, I don't think he can win.

Right?

Different polls speak different numbers but Americans overwhelmingly liked his acceptance speech.

CNN polls showed - among those who were polled on Thursday night

73% believed his speech will move the country in the right direction (contrast with 60% believed his policies would move US in right direction before speech)
57% of those who were polled had very positive reaction to the speech,
(source: my personal notes)

One error that has become common is to believe he is will behave like a politician. No. He is a businessman. Businessmen shape their strategy according to the situation at hand. Businessmen are used to having to revising strategy in middle of the financial year because of unforeseen circumstances.

In primaries he had to behave in a certain way to eliminate Bush, Kasich, Rubio, Cruz. He knew fully well that not many were paying attention to what he was doing except core Republicans and core Democrats. After winning primaries he fired his campaign manager .. rather unknown move in political circles.

Now he is trying to woo the independents and is better behaved and presidential.

I do not know who will win. All I know is that if a big politician goes head to head with a big businessman the businessman will win every time (because they are used to thinking on their feet).

Let Hillary answer .. why 180,000 Hispanics with criminal records, ordered deported are still in US. That nugget from the speech has been fact checked and found true (by Vox). When 45 million Americans are on food stamps, usual fluffy feel good speech is not going to cut it at next week's convention.

This guy does not support Trump but bet $1,000 on him becoming the next President. He makes some good observations about Trump and Hillary

phpBB [video]
Last edited by No_Mind on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:19 am

Hillary Clinton picks Senator Tim Kaine to be her VP running mate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kaine

Apparently he is a centrist, lots of political experience; mayor, lt. governor, governor, senator.

Return to “News, Current Events & Politics”