How do you contemplate anicca?

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

Re: How do you contemplate anicca?

Postby SamKR » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:04 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

daverupa wrote:I'd like to hear how someone had insight into idapaccayata but not anicca.

So would I.

Further, I envisage there'll be little insight into idapaccayata if one's focus re: aniccata, is on mountains, fruit and such.

+1
SamKR

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 am

retrofuturist wrote:Further, I envisage there'll be little insight into idapaccayata if one's focus re: aniccata, is on mountains, fruit and such.

That's already been acknowledged, so I'm not sure why you're labouring the point.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:35 am

daverupa wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:I'd associate MN9 more with insight into specific conditionality than with insight into anicca - while acknowledging these are closely related.

One will get you the other.

Sure - I acknowledged they were closely related. It's really all dhamma vicaya, so I think what we're actually discussing are different directions of approach. You could argue that these distinctions are somewhat contrived.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Spiny Norman

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 am

Greetings Spiny,

Spiny Norman wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Further, I envisage there'll be little insight into idapaccayata if one's focus re: aniccata, is on mountains, fruit and such.

That's already been acknowledged, so I'm not sure why you're labouring the point.

No it hadn't. "Idapaccayata" and "[inanimate objects]" had been mentioned separately, but until I did so, they had not been mentioned in connection.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Insight Meditation