satipatthana with virtually zero discursive thought

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Spiny Norman

Re: satipatthana with virtually zero discursive thought

Post by Spiny Norman »

alan... wrote:
porpoise wrote:
I think it depends where you are with your practice of mindfulness. And there are other options, some people return to the breath at regular intervals or use a mantra. If I'm outside I tend to use physical sensations like wind on my face. Probably it's about being creative and finding what works.
interesting. i find i'm always stuck between liberal ideas and literal "this is the one and only interpretation and method that works" ideas. i like your thinking, but i also wonder about the specificity of the suttas. then again, they are broadly written in many ways as well, hence all the perceived need for interpretation.
I take the view that if a method works and isn't contradicting the suttas then it has some validity and is worth looking at.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
alan...

Post by alan... »

porpoise wrote:
alan... wrote:
porpoise wrote:
I think it depends where you are with your practice of mindfulness. And there are other options, some people return to the breath at regular intervals or use a mantra. If I'm outside I tend to use physical sensations like wind on my face. Probably it's about being creative and finding what works.
interesting. i find i'm always stuck between liberal ideas and literal "this is the one and only interpretation and method that works" ideas. i like your thinking, but i also wonder about the specificity of the suttas. then again, they are broadly written in many ways as well, hence all the perceived need for interpretation.
I take the view that if a method works and isn't contradicting the suttas then it has some validity and is worth looking at.
smart thinking.
Nyorai

Post by Nyorai »

this sutta is about details in all one's internal & external organs, and the inner thoughts, understanding from the liberal aspect but contemplating solely on the literal of the source code. This source code you need to realize it, otherwise all contemplation is gearing into its realization. The actualization thereafter depends on one aptitude and hardwork.
ImageTo become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path. He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self.Image
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

IanAnd wrote:
porpoise wrote: I find that the 4 foundations of mindfulness are a useful framework for developing mindfulness, sometimes I simplify them to just "body" and "mind".
I second porpoise's main premise that the four establishments of mindfulness is perhaps the best framework for developing the gradual path toward awakening through mindfulness. However, one should not eliminate the perception of vedana from the mix as it will help demonstrate depending co-arising when one is working at eliminating unwholesome reactions/responses from one's mental processes.
I agree that it's important to include vedana, but given the distinction in the suttas between physical and mental vedana it seems reasonable to put physical vedana with "body" and mental vedana with "mind".
Buddha save me from new-agers!