YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Nama-rupa Confusion - Dhamma Wheel

Nama-rupa Confusion

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Uilium

Nama-rupa Confusion

Postby Uilium » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:30 pm

Why do I hear namarupa means "name & form" or "mind&form(body)? How does name relate to mind here? Something about the consepts mind gives objects? I have confusion here...Perhaps I have realized it through experience but have not realized it intellectually yet? Is that possible?

polarbear101

Re: Nama-rupa Confusion

Postby polarbear101 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Greetings Uilium,

You've asked a tricky, yet important question... there are two main interpretations of nama-rupa - each with vastly different connotations.

For the phenomenological "name and form" interpretation, I recommend the writings of Bhikkhu Nanananda, Nanavira, and the sutta quoted above by Polar Buddha.

For the ontological "mentality and materiality" interpretation, well... I'll let someone who subscribes to that interpretation recommend you something. :)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

SDC

Postby SDC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Skip to 6:58 in this talk.

I hope this helps. :smile:

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:05 pm

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 am

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:15 am

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 am

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Return to “Vipassanā / Satipaṭṭhāna Bhāvana”