Noticing touch

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
purple planet

Noticing touch

Post by purple planet »

I started to note touch instead of breathing what do you think ?

and it started to take over my labeling and i label breathing as touch and lots of stuff as touch and also walking meditation - is it good to note mainly touch ?

another mini question - one of my problems from the start was how to label pressing a button - i know the label is onlt a tool but still fot me its very important

so how do you label pressing a button - pushing ? pressure?
tiltbillings

Re: Noticing touch

Post by tiltbillings »

purple planet wrote: so how do you label pressing a button - pushing ? pressure?
"pressing a button" Don't over think this stuff.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Note the doubt and indicision?
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

tiltbillings wrote:
purple planet wrote: so how do you label pressing a button - pushing ? pressure?
"pressing a button" Don't over think this stuff.

These are all good answers... "Pressing", or "pushing", or "pressing a button" are all fine.. As U Pandita says, keep it simple, your not looking to enhance verbal skills but to be mindful.
Note the doubt and indicision?
this is an important insight that you will find as your practice progresses... You will be able to see and note the doubt along with uncertainty, intention...etc
may all be well
:D
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Billymac29 wrote:keep it simple, your not looking to enhance verbal skills but to be mindful.
exactly... that' why I hardly ever label, it pulls me off the experience more into conceptualizing about what the process exactly is, when it began, if could label it in a more refined way... for some that technique helps, for me it is to agitating.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sokehi,
Sokehi wrote:
Billymac29 wrote:keep it simple, your not looking to enhance verbal skills but to be mindful.
exactly... that' why I hardly ever label, it pulls me off the experience more into conceptualizing about what the process exactly is, when it began, if could label it in a more refined way... for some that technique helps, for me it is to agitating.
Certainly if you are conceptualizing then that's not the purpose (which is completely the opposite) and it would be better to drop it.

:anjali:
Mike
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

yes indeed :) :anjali:

it just happens, I better not give my inner monkey any toys to think about, I'm fine with awareness of breathing.

If it comes to meditation technicques generally I'm not a big shot. I get pulled away to quickly, it's quite hard for me to stay with my metta meditation. Maybe that's why initially I felt more at home in the zen tradition and "just sitting".

Hopefully I can expand to more refined techniques one day, because certainly I understand the benefits that come from it.

Labelling worked while practicing Jongrom quite good, but if I sit I better just sit.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi PP,

If you have not already, I suggest you listen to at least the introductory reatreat talks by Patrick Kearney on this site:
http://www.dharmasalon.net/Audio/audio.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[They rotate every so often, the one I've just listened to here:
http://www.dharmasalon.net/Audio/BMIMC% ... BMIMC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
01 (AM) Introducing Mahāsī method
We look at the origins of the modern insight movement in Myanmar, and at the characteristics of Mahāsī Sayādaw’s approach to satipaṭṭhāna vipassanā (insight based on establishing mindfulness). We see how Mahāsī Sayādaw divides the meditator’s experience into “primary object” and “secondary object;” and how the three fundamental movements of the practitioner are “noting,” “naming” and “noticing.”
covers many of the issues raised in this thread.

:anjali:
Mike