Why the criticisms?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
badscooter

Re: Why the criticisms?

Post by badscooter »

tiltbillings wrote:
Billymac29 wrote: . . .
In addition to the the book I recommended here, let me also recommed a brilliant book by Ven Analayo: Satipatthana: The Direct Path to Realization.
Do you know if the Venerable Analayo's book is available for download online?
thanks Tilt :anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Billymac29 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Billymac29 wrote: . . .
In addition to the the book I recommended here, let me also recommed a brilliant book by Ven Analayo: Satipatthana: The Direct Path to Realization.
Do you know if the Venerable Analayo's book is available for download online?
thanks Tilt :anjali:
Not legally.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Bringing this post back to life because I just received Ven Analayo's book Satipatthana: The Direct Path to Realization after a suggestion from tilt. This book is probably the most thorough, scholarly, well researched book I have read on the satipatthana sutta and on the term sati in general. IMO it is the book to read if one wants to understand the practice of sati and satipatthana. It definitely answered a lot of questions I was carrying with me.

Thanks Tilt ;)
:anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

I am glad you found the book of value.

You might also find this series talks of value: http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/?s ... tipatthana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan...

Post by alan... »

the noting and what not is straight out of the satipatthana sutta.

"when walking he understands 'i am walking'. "

sounds like noting too me. i don't see much at all that is not directly from the suttas as far as his practice instructions are concerned. they seem to be right in line with the suttas. his sitting meditation instructions are kind of a stretch at points but for the most part they're from the suttas as well, it's about interpretation.

the other instructions and what not about insight knowledges and stuff may be commentary but i don't know. what's more important though? that practical methods are canonical or that higher definitions and structure are?
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

:goodpost:
alan... wrote:the noting and what not is straight out of the satipatthana sutta.

"when walking he understands 'i am walking'. "

sounds like noting too me. i don't see much at all that is not directly from the suttas as far as his practice instructions are concerned. they seem to be right in line with the suttas. his sitting meditation instructions are kind of a stretch at points but for the most part they're from the suttas as well, it's about interpretation.

the other instructions and what not about insight knowledges and stuff may be commentary but i don't know. what's more important though? that practical methods are canonical or that higher definitions and structure are?
:goodpost: