vipassana craziness

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Mr Man

Re: vipassana craziness

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote:Because Geonka is not a monastic, it is not in line with Theravada, not in line with the Buddha's teachings?
The link is through context. The format and technique do not come from the suttas.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

DAWN wrote: . . .
You obviously have never done an intensive meditation retreat, so you really do not know of what you speak.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Because Geonka is not a monastic, it is not in line with Theravada, not in line with the Buddha's teachings?
The link is through context. The format and technique do not come from the suttas.
Lest me see here. Ajahn Chah, in dealing with someone who is struggling mightly with sleepiness tell that person to sit on the very edge of an open well when he meditates. Heavens, that did not come from the suttas, so it is not in line with the Buddha's teachings. Naughty Ajahn Chah. What Goenka teaches is the cultivation of sila, concentration and mindfulness.

But tell me, which actual format and which actual technique come from the suttas?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

tiltbillings wrote:
You obviously have never done an intensive meditation retreat, so you really do not know of you speak.
It's true. I'am sorry. :toilet:

Dear Titlbilling, can you please show me a day schedule of one typic intensive meditation retreat. To have an idea about what it can be. :thinking:

:anjali:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote:
Mr Man wrote:
Lest me see here. Ajahn Chah, indealing with someone who is struggling mightly with sleepiness tell that person to sit on the very edge of an open well when he meditates. Heavens, that did not come from the suttas, so it is not in line with the Buddha's teachings. Naughty Ajahn Chah. What Goenka teaches is the cultivation of sila, concentration and mindfulness.

But tell me, which actual format and which actual technique come from the suttas?
With respect Tilt I think you really need to go back and read over what I actually said. Have I said something that is not correct?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

DAWN wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
You obviously have never done an intensive meditation retreat, so you really do not know of you speak.
It's true. I'am sorry. :toilet:

Dear Titlbilling, can you please show me a day schedule of one typic intensive meditation retreat. To have an idea about what it can be. :thinking:

Try Google.

http://www.dharma.org/meditation-retreats/faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello DAWN,

Vipassana Meditation Course – Typical Daily Schedule

4:00 a.m. ————————- Morning wake-up bell
4:30-6:30 a.m. —————- Meditate in Dhamma Hall or in your room
6:30-8:00 a.m. —————- Breakfast break
8:00-9:00 a.m. —————- Group meditation in Dhamma Hall
9:00-11:00 a.m. ————— Meditate in Dhamma Hall or in your room according to teacher’s instruction
11:00 -12 noon —————- Lunch break
12 noon – 1:00 p.m. ——— Rest, private Q&A session with teacher
1:00-2:30 p.m. —————– Meditate in Dhamma Hall or in your room
2:30-3:30 p.m. —————– Group meditation in Dhamma Hall
3:30-5:00 p.m. —————– Meditate in Dhamma Hall or in your room according to teacher’s instruction
5:00-6:00 p.m. —————– Tea break
6:00-7:00 p.m. —————– Group meditation in Dhamma Hall
7:00-8:15 p.m. ——————Teacher’s Discourse in Dhamma Hall
8:15-9:00 p.m. —————— Group meditation in Dhamma Hall
9:00-9:30 p.m. —————– Open Q&A session in Dhamma Hall
10:00 p.m. ———————— Lights out

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Thanks you cooran and titlbillngs :anjali: :bow:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote: With respect Tilt I think you really need to go back and read over what I actually said. Have I said something that is not correct?
If you are saying that Goenka or Mahasi Sayadaw are out of line with the Theravada and the teachings of the Buddha, then yes, you have said something quite incorrect.

beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

I apologize if my last post seemed to be off-topic...

I don't think that there should be any concern about doing an intensive training... it's all about cultivating the insight of anicca, dukkha and anatta... and then try to figure out how to apply that insight, in a way which is wholesome.

If a person feels like that he needs an intensive training, then I think that's OK. If the person feels like that he doesn't need it, then I think that's OK also... I just don't think that there's any need to turn it into something that one has to be defensive about, or an argument.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

beeblebrox wrote:
If a person feels like that he needs an intensive training, then I think that's OK. If the person feels like that he doesn't need it, then I think that's OK also... I don't think that there's any need to turn it into something that one has to be defensive about, or an argument.

I agree. Intensive practice is not something that will meet the needs of everyone. I find, however, the willingness to so quickly and without meaningful basis to criticize intensive practice unfortunate as is the willingness to dismiss it because it supposedly is not in line with what the Buddha taught.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

beeblebrox wrote:I don't think that there should be any concern about doing an intensive training... it's all about cultivating the insight of anicca, dukkha and anatta... and then try to figure out how to apply that insight, in a way which is wholesome.
If one has actual insight, and not something conceptually derived, there is no need to try to figure out how to apply the actual insight.

beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

tiltbillings wrote:I agree. Intensive practice is not something that will meet the needs of everyone. I find, however, the willingness to so quickly and without meaningful basis to criticize intensive practice unfortunate as is the willingness to dismiss it because it supposedly is not in line with what the Buddha taught.
Yes, I see the point now.

beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

tiltbillings wrote:
beeblebrox wrote:I don't think that there should be any concern about doing an intensive training... it's all about cultivating the insight of anicca, dukkha and anatta... and then try to figure out how to apply that insight, in a way which is wholesome.
If one has actual insight, and not something conceptually derived, there is no need to try to figure out how to apply the actual insight.
Maybe that could be... but seems like that it still could be a part of the practice, though.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

beeblebrox wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Maybe that could be... but seems like that it still could be a part of the practice, though.

Insight into anicca, dukkha, anatta points to a shift in perception that at its basis is not conceptual, though concepts certainly are at play when insight is talked about.