an odd fear of jhana

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
identification

an odd fear of jhana

Post by identification »

I have this fear of going into jhana and waking up under the ground in a casket or in a hospital during an autopsy because my roommates and doctors thought I was dead. Anyone else? :D Sounds a little crazy I'm sure, but ajahn brahm told a story about one of his students going into jhana and the doctors and his wife thinking he was dead. Maybe I can wear a necklace that says I'm not dead I'm in a jhana. Your thoughts?
thepea

Re: an odd fear of jhana

Post by thepea »

The reverse happened a little while ago serving on retreat, one of the senior teachers(85yrs old) who was sitting the course was sitting on a chair at the back of the meditation hall and he suddenly slumped over and was rocking back and forth a bit with his head down, we noticed this and were going to help him but someone said to leave him as he was most likely in a deep state of concentration. It turns out he was having a mild attack and could not ask for help. Eventually we tended to him but kinda scary. Yikes!
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

identification wrote:I have this fear of going into jhana and waking up under the ground in a casket or in a hospital during an autopsy because my roommates and doctors thought I was dead. Anyone else? :D Sounds a little crazy I'm sure, but ajahn brahm told a story about one of his students going into jhana and the doctors and his wife thinking he was dead. Maybe I can wear a necklace that says I'm not dead I'm in a jhana. Your thoughts?
If you fear it better to not try to do it, cultivate other aspects of the path for now.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
identification

Post by identification »

Goofaholix wrote:
identification wrote:I have this fear of going into jhana and waking up under the ground in a casket or in a hospital during an autopsy because my roommates and doctors thought I was dead. Anyone else? :D Sounds a little crazy I'm sure, but ajahn brahm told a story about one of his students going into jhana and the doctors and his wife thinking he was dead. Maybe I can wear a necklace that says I'm not dead I'm in a jhana. Your thoughts?
If you fear it better to not try to do it, cultivate other aspects of the path for now.
Thanks. But did you mean to say ( fire, poison, arrows, wild animals, and all other physical dangers are incapable of harming you while in a jhana. You are invincible and protected by the devas!)). In which case, thank you so much! :anjali:
identification

Post by identification »

thepea wrote:The reverse happened a little while ago serving on retreat, one of the senior teachers(85yrs old) who was sitting the course was sitting on a chair at the back of the meditation hall and he suddenly slumped over and was rocking back and forth a bit with his head down, we noticed this and were going to help him but someone said to leave him as he was most likely in a deep state of concentration. It turns out he was having a mild attack and could not ask for help. Eventually we tended to him but kinda scary. Yikes!

Wow, sounds scary. I guess it can go wrong either way. Best to just let go I guess!
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

identification wrote: But did you mean to say ( fire, poison, arrows, wild animals, and all other physical dangers are incapable of harming you while in a jhana. You are invincible and protected by the devas!)).
No, I meant to say if you fear jhana then that fear will stop it from happening anyway so concentrate on other aspects of the path until you have the confidence to let go.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
santa100

Post by santa100 »

It's very difficult to get to such deep states of jhana where one no longer feels any sense disturbances. Usually it requires lots of training over a long period where the meditative strength builds up gradually. Because of this gradual process, one usually has a pretty good idea how long his jhana session usually lasts. And if one knows how long it takes, one can just tell their roomate or wife to not disturb them during that length of time. So no worries..
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Goofaholix wrote:
identification wrote: But did you mean to say ( fire, poison, arrows, wild animals, and all other physical dangers are incapable of harming you while in a jhana. You are invincible and protected by the devas!)).
No, I meant to say if you fear jhana then that fear will stop it from happening anyway so concentrate on other aspects of the path until you have the confidence to let go.
:goodpost:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
identification

Post by identification »

Goofaholix wrote:

Which parts? Virtue?
identification

Post by identification »

santa100 wrote:
It's very difficult to get to such deep states of jhana where one no longer feels any sense disturbances. Usually it requires lots of training over a long period where the meditative strength builds up gradually. Because of this gradual process, one usually has a pretty good idea how long his jhana session usually lasts. And if one knows how long it takes, one can just tell their roomate or wife to not disturb them during that length of time. So no worries..
Thanks. Much metta :anjali:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

identification wrote:
Goofaholix wrote:

Which parts? Virtue?
All the other parts of the path other than right concentration (jhana).
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Mkoll wrote:All the other parts of the path other than right concentration (jhana).
Indeed! There can even be seated satipatthana ahead of doing anapanasati. There is also a whole range of kayagatasati.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Mkoll wrote:All the other parts of the path other than right concentration (jhana).
Yes, 7 out of 8 ain't bad.
― Ajahn Chah
Akhandha

Post by Akhandha »

oh, yes) some time ago I had the same fear and the same ideas))
but then this fear disappeared because I saw that in my case these states never last more than some hours.
I meditate at night, so by the morning I'm usually already alive :)
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

identification wrote:I have this fear of going into jhana and waking up under the ground in a casket or in a hospital during an autopsy because my roommates and doctors thought I was dead.
Clearly someone has been reading / watching too much Ajahn Brahm :tongue:

When he told those stories I'm sure he intended it to be entertaining.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)