The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
marc108

Re: how do you enter jhana?

Post by marc108 »

alan... wrote:
danieLion wrote::stirthepot:
...and how does one exit jhana?

:jumping:
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Sylvester wrote:
If you read DN 9 together with MN 44, that might suggest the answer...
So with this post plus Ben's the message I'm getting is that one exits jhana by way of proper prior planning and development? I'm also reading that it involves a present willing (volition) of a future unwilling (non-volition), i.e., when in jhana you don't do any willing but rely on your previously willed cultivation(s)?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Daniel,
I think that maybe the case, as far as I can tell from my reading. - And I am by no means an authority on the issue.
My understanding is that the adhitthana decision seems to condition the duration of those jhana factors remaining stable.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Hi Daniel

That's how I think the suttas seem to describe it, based on the Pali.

Come to the Dark Side, and learn some Pali. You won't need to forego the better English translations. But learning some Pali grammar, especially conjugations if temporal issues interest you, will shed much light on how the English translations should be read, or would have been understood in the native format.

One example of this is to be found in MN 118 and the relation of the tetrads to jhana. If you look at the Pali, you will find that only the 1st tetrad admits of contemporaneity, owing to its use of the missakiriyā construction, versus the bhavissantī construction in the subsequent 3 tetrads. This difference has significant praxis consequences on how one practices ānāpānasati according to the MN 118 ideal.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Sylvester wrote:Hi Daniel

That's how I think the suttas seem to describe it, based on the Pali.

Come to the Dark Side, and learn some Pali....
I presume you mean beyond memorizing vocabulary? I've been doing that for a while. I've used some online tutorials for the grammar, but it's been a few months since I've done any assignments. I have a strong desire to read the suttas in Pali, and eventually do my own translating, so thanks for the motivational reminder.

I'm still a little shocked at how much interpretation is involved in translating Pali.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Sylvester wrote:One example of this is to be found in MN 118 and the relation of the tetrads to jhana. If you look at the Pali, you will find that only the 1st tetrad admits of contemporaneity, owing to its use of the missakiriyā construction, versus the bhavissantī construction in the subsequent 3 tetrads. This difference has significant praxis consequences on how one practices ānāpānasati according to the MN 118 ideal.
Sorry to keep bugging you, but could you give us a brief explanation of what the missakiriyā and bhavissantī constructions are. It's not evident to me from the Pali my search online yielded nil.
Thanks.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Wait till ya get to the idioms.

Vocab while important is best not memorized IMHO. There's just too much polysemy in Pali to warrant memorization.

Missa = with present participles
Bhav = future tense.

Have you invested in Warder?
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Sylvester wrote:Missa = with present participles
Bhav = future tense.
Ah, yes. I can see that in TB's and BB's translations. I've noticed it before, too, come to think of it. In terms of the contemporaneity (of the viharati [abides in jhana] and samanupassati [regards]), which one are you assigning to tetrad 1 and which to tetrads 2-4?
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Look again...
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Sylvester wrote:Look again...
:broke: I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions anymore. :juggling:
mirco

Post by mirco »

danieLion wrote:...and how does one exit jhana?
Haha. Nothing easier than that. It just happens. More often than you want it, if your unskilled.

If you are skilled, you before exactly can determine how long you want to stay in jhana.

Regards :-)
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

Its like asking, how does one gets restless? Exiting is not the problem, entering and maintaining the jhana, is.