Thai vs. Sri Lankan monks

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
subaru

Re: Thai vs. Sri Lankan monks

Post by subaru »

I also noticed that Thai and Burmese monks would not consume the food served to them if it is not properly offered, ie, the lay person would lift the plate and the monk would touch the plate as a gesture of accepting the offering. (Some) Sri Lankan monk are not so particular about this gesture. Is this a ritual or a Vinaya rule? Thanks
:candle:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

subaru wrote:I also noticed that Thai and Burmese monks would not consume the food served to them if it is not properly offered, ie, the lay person would lift the plate and the monk would touch the plate as a gesture of accepting the offering. (Some) Sri Lankan monk are not so particular about this gesture. Is this a ritual or a Vinaya rule? Thanks
It's a Vinaya rule. The food is not considered offered if it's just placed in front of the monk, it needs to be placed into his bowl, or onto something that he is touching such a tray, plate, or cloth.
Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:The act of giving food and other edibles, as described in the Vibhaṅga, has three factors:
1) The donor (an unordained person) is standing within reach (one hatthapāsa, or 1.25 metres) of the bhikkhu.
2) He/she gives the item with the body (e.g., the hand), with something in contact with the body (e.g., a spoon), or by means of letting go. According to the Commentary, letting go means releasing from the body or something in contact with the body — e.g., dropping from the hand or a spoon — and refers to such cases as when a donor drops or tosses something into a bhikkhu’s bowl or hands without directly or indirectly making contact.
3) The bhikkhu receives the item with the body or with something in contact with the body (e.g., his bowl, a piece of cloth).
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
subaru

Post by subaru »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It's a Vinaya rule.
Thank you Bhante..

Then it must have been misunderstanding on my part.. my previous post is by no means to imply that Sri Lankan monks does not follow Vinaya rules. I have benefited a lot of the teachings of true Dhammas by the monks, therefore I have full respect for them and accept them as the true ordained followers of Lord Buddha
:candle:
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

subaru wrote:Thank you Bhante..

Then it must have been misunderstanding on my part.. my previous post is by no means to imply that Sri Lankan monks does not follow Vinaya rules. I have benefited a lot of the teachings of true Dhammas by the monks, therefore I have full respect for them and accept them as the true ordained followers of Lord Buddha
There's a story, I think in Vimana-vattu, where a person in a hurry, put down the food for approaching Ven. Moggallana and said, "this is given to you." The fellow ran away, and Ven. Moggallana took the food by himself and ate.

Also, once a hunter or a thief seeing Ven. uppalawanna, hang a large piece of meat at a distance of a branch and tell Ven. uppalawanna something like, "this is given to who ever sees it." The reason is the hunter feared that his companions will see this beautiful ayya and trouble her. She took the meat, brought to the monastery, get it cooked and offered to Lord Buddha too.

I have visited many places in Asia and observed all types of interpretation and practice on this rule. Some monks just accept even if the food put in front of them silently. Some wait for a verbal confirmation "this is offered to you." Some need to be given to hand or something connected to the body. Some are very extreme, they need specific distance. If they suspect that it's even 1 cm short, then they might ask you to offer multiple times until you complete the ritual without error. There were some occasions where the food thrown away even after donors brought us from far away with much effort. The reason is a monk or two touching the food before the full ritual!

Most Burmese & Sri Lankan monks that I have met told me that the Buddha only told "one should not take into mouth what's not given," and the rest (including the ritual) were added by different different compilers. Most of these monks have a scholarly bend too, so their understanding may be more balanced than others.