Kāmesumicchācāra breaches that are not sexual?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Javi

Kāmesumicchācāra breaches that are not sexual?

Post by Javi »

Kāmesumicchācāra veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi

I've seen it translated as:
a. I undertake the training rule to avoid sensual misconduct.
b. I undertake the training rule to avoid sexual misconduct.

Now in almost all contexts that I've seen this precept, it is discussed in terms of sexuality, though I think I may have listened to a lecture once that talked about sensual misconduct dealing with sensual pleasures and desires. My question is, are there any sources which speak about the non sexual elements of this? What constitutes sensual misconduct besides all the sexual stuff usually discussed? Is overeating included for example? Or is kama in this case restricted to sexual pleasure/desire?
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
santa100

Re: Kāmesumicchācāra breaches that are not sexual?

Post by santa100 »

Javi wrote:What constitutes sensual misconduct besides all the sexual stuff usually discussed? Is overeating included for example? Or is kama in this case restricted to sexual pleasure/desire?
From Ven. Nyanatiloka's Buddhist Dictionary, the abstaining from overeating would seem to be part the DasaSila (10 Precepts)'s item #6 instead of the PancaSila (5 Precepts)'s item #3.
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Kāmesumicchācāra really only applies to sexual matters. Even though the term Kāma can be used to refer to sensuality in general, it can also be used to refer specifically to sexual desire. For example, the Kāma Sūtra, the very (in)famous Indian treatise on lovemaking.

Because the Suttas and commentaries always define Kāmesumicchācāra in terms of unsuitable sexual partners I think it's clear that the meaning of the term is intended to be Kāma in the sexual sense.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Bakmoon wrote: For example, the Kāma Sūtra, the very (in)famous Indian treatise on lovemaking.
As far as I know your specific preceptual point is correct, but I believe the above is a common misunderstanding of the Kama Sutra. Wikipedia:
"Kāma" which is one of the four goals of Hindu life, means desire including sexual desire the latter being the subject of the textbook, and "sūtra" literally means a thread or line that holds things together, and more metaphorically refers to an aphorism (or line, rule, formula), or a collection of such aphorisms in the form of a manual. Contrary to popular perception, especially in the western world, Kama sutra is not exclusively a sex manual; it presents itself as a guide to a virtuous and gracious living that discusses the nature of love, family life and other aspects pertaining to pleasure oriented faculties of human life.[4][5]