what does sense of humour means in buddhism?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mario92

what does sense of humour means in buddhism?

Post by mario92 »

I have this question when i go to school and i encounter with my school mates, if it is frivolous talk when i say something funny or it is sense of humour? Does it means to harm any living being as when im talking including myself?
Or when i commit a mistake and i am laughing, does it is good? ;) thank you :hello:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: what does sense of humour means in buddhism?

Post by Sam Vara »

mario92 wrote:I have this question when i go to school and i encounter with my school mates, if it is frivolous talk when i say something funny or it is sense of humour? Does it means to harm any living being as when im talking including myself?
Or when i commit a mistake and i am laughing, does it is good? ;) thank you :hello:
I think it depends on your intention. If you say something funny at someone's expense - to belittle them or harm them - then that is not wholesome. Lots of humour is based on being cruel and excluding people.

But if you are talking in order to just enjoy yourself with your friends, then that is OK. Laughing at your own mistakes is also quite positive, I think. It shows that you don't take yourself too seriously.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Sam Vara wrote:
mario92 wrote:I have this question when i go to school and i encounter with my school mates, if it is frivolous talk when i say something funny or it is sense of humour? Does it means to harm any living being as when im talking including myself?
I think it depends on your intention. If you say something funny at someone's expense - to belittle them or harm them - then that is not wholesome. Lots of humour is based on being cruel and excluding people.

But if you are talking in order to just enjoy yourself with your friends, then that is OK. Laughing at your own mistakes is also quite positive, I think. It shows that you don't take yourself too seriously.
Ok, thank you :) Sam Vara
mario92

Post by mario92 »

And what is the difference between frivolous talk or talk in vanity and sense of humour?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Venerable Ledi Sayādaw's explanation may be of some help:

The Exposition of Right Speech

The key point is, I think, “Is this speech of any benefit.” If a joke or humorous story can benefit someone perhaps it is not useless talk.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Hi ven bhikkhu pesala, i understand now, sense of humour has to have benefits and non sense of humour with nonsense. You make the point clear venerable, thank you, may i have good sense of humour wisely and with sense to the benefit of myself and others. Thank you ven bhikkhu pesala attain deathless happiness. :) :anjali:
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hi Mario :hello:

I think there's nothing wrong in having good fun with your friends as long as it is not malicious and doesn't harm yourself and others. I'm a little older and if my kid asked me "Dad, is it OK to laugh and exchange jokes with friends?" I'd be really concerned. As much as I'd like my kids to take the Dhamma to heart, I would not want them to be checking their every move against the scriptures. This would lead to paralysis and mental health issues, I fear.

Imagine you are an explorer, seeking to chart the newly discovered land (of the mind) and reach the summit (Nibbana). You have a wonder guide book prepared by a great explorer (the Buddha) who charted other similar lands and climbed the highest peaks. It has suggestions and warnings, tips to avoid peril and to progress well, pointers to identify the right track and to avoid the wrong ones. But the journey is yours to make. And to make it you need courage and vigour. But perhaps most importantly, it's vital to internalise the wisdom of the great explorer's directions, and be guided by this wisdom (Right Practice) rather than getting lost in the details and the minutiae.

Realistically, we all start practice from where we are as samsaric beings, and if we suddenly decide to cut off everything that doesn't specifically aid practice, try too hard, it's like a simile of a lute that is strung too tight - it will break. Such practice does not last. Every explorer has to know himself to get the pace right.

All the best, Mario!
_/|\_
dhammacoustic

Post by dhammacoustic »

All I can say is that, them wise old men have the best sense of humor. So I believe the Buddha had the ultimate sense of humor. Quality humor is an expression of wisdom, I read a book about it.

:namaste:
Digity

Post by Digity »

Two monks walked into a bar...