monks and the rule about masturbation

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
wolf1

monks and the rule about masturbation

Post by wolf1 »

Helo,

Patimokkha says: "make orgasm is not allowed to a monk" but it is not in the main rules. (main rules for example no sex, no killing and et cetera.) this rule about masturbation is a lower rule than the killing rule or sex rule. not every monks and nuns are perfect, i think we all know it. i know a story about a Thailand monk who was raped a many times when he was novice, and i also heard story about some monks use bad words ( execrate ) on facebook. and in the modern world, monks and nuns have facebook accounts and mobile phones..... :thinking:

so not every monks and nuns are perfect, it is true. there are weaker and there are stronger bhikkhus and bhikkhunis. what happen when a bhikkhu or bhikkhuni masturbate sometimes? for example twice or once in a year. and he or she tell it at Uposatha. what happen if a monk or nun do masturbate twice or once in a year? others don't like it or they forgive it?
culaavuso

Re: monks and the rule about masturbation

Post by culaavuso »

wolf1 wrote:what happen if a monk or nun do masturbate twice or once in a year?
[url=http://thebahiyablog.blogspot.com/2013/08/let-this-be-lesson.html]Let This Be a a Lesson[/url] by Ven. Paññobhāsa Bhikkhu wrote: It is a violation of a relatively major rule of Discipline (the first of the 13 sanghādisesas) for a monk deliberately to cause himself to have an orgasm, and I think I can honestly say that I've never deliberately caused myself to have one since my ordination. I have accidentally caused myself to have them though. The first time this happened, I had been a monk for about four years. I was living alone under a tree in a forest in southern Burma, and I was feeling very lustful and, well, acting lustful too. Just a few moments before the unintended surprise climax, a beautiful, metallic green jungle dove landed on the rock on which I was sitting, directly in front of me, about six or eight feet away, and walked past me cooing, as though making sounds of disapproval. A metallic green dove had never landed so near to me before, and as I'm no materialist I couldn't help but feel that it was a messenger from the gods warning me, or rather a symbolic manifestation of my own karma; but I was already too "far gone" to pay much heed. The accident happened, and after the momentary panic subsided I remember my whole body went hot, as though I were blushing with shame from head to foot. Since that time such accidents have happened too many times to count. (For cases in which I had serious doubt as to whether the event was deliberate, I did formal penance, twice.) As with anything else, the more we do something, the easier it is to do it. The first time tends to be the most difficult.
[url=http://thebahiyablog.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-trip-to-get-hugged-by-amma-until.html]My Trip to Get Hugged by Amma[/url] by Ven. Paññobhāsa Bhikkhu wrote: The rule in question, incidentally, is called sanghādisesa, and requires 6 days and 6 nights of penance to expiate it, plus going through a final reinstatement ceremony at which no fewer than 20 monks in good standing are present, so breaking the rule entails a fair amount of trouble.
[url=http://thebahiyablog.blogspot.com/2013/02/stone-elephant.html]Stone Elephant[/url] by Ven. Paññobhāsa Bhikkhu wrote: Probably the most severe penance I've observed so far is simply remaining in a squatting position during the ceremony in which the six days and nights of manatta penance were conferred upon me—three of the monks recited the formal act very slowly, carefully pronouncing their Pali in accordance with the Pakhokku method (which is even stranger than ordinary Burmese pronunciation of Pali; I know of one venerable sayadaw who actually herniated himself while enunciating the explosive consonants of Pakhokku Pali) so as not to invalidate the proceedings.
Anyway, junior monks are continually wanting to bow down to me, and when we walk together they want to slow down to let me be in front—despite the fact that a monk doing penance is not allowed to let a monk not doing penance to bow down to him, and he should walk behind everybody else.
[url=http://thebahiyablog.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-journey-to-south.html]The Journey to the South[/url] by Ven. Paññobhāsa Bhikkhu wrote: One of the observances of a monk taking this penance is that he's not allowed to ordain anybody.
wolf1

Re: monks and the rule about masturbation

Post by wolf1 »

Thanx. :buddha1: