Is polyamory against sexual morality precepts of the Buddha?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mikenz66

Re: Is polyamory against sexual morality precepts of the Bud

Post by mikenz66 »

Here are references to the suttas and commetaries:
http://www.aimwell.org/DPPN/mallikaa.htm
The Dhammapada Commentary (DhA.iii.119ff) relates a ridiculous story about her misbehaviour with a dog in the bath house. Pasenadi was a witness of this scene, but she was able to convince him that it was the fault of the lighting of the bath house. Nevertheless, it is said that at the moment of her death she recollected this misdeed, and, as a result, was reborn in Avīci. The king was overcome by grief at Mallika’s death, and, after the funeral rites, went to the Buddha to ask where she had been reborn. The Buddha, not wishing him to know, caused the king to forget the question, every time he came to the vihāra, for a whole week, until Mallikā’s suffering in Avīci was over; then he allowed the question to be asked, and he was able to assure Pasenadi that she had been reborn in Tusita and to console him in his grief. It is said (A.iii.57) that Pasenadi was on a visit to the Buddha when a man came with the whispered message that the queen was dead. It was a terrible shock, “his shoulders drooped, his mouth fell, and he sat brooding, unable to speak.”
The sutta referred to is AN 5.49.

:anjali:
Mike
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

is anything reported about the king's passage through any realms after his death?
Presumably the king was also born in a hell-realm for his misdeeds against his kindly and devoted wife.
Is this reported anywhere?
How long was he there for? I would think for far longer, given the amount of time he mistreated her for....
EDIT NOTE:

Forget the question. we're going off topic.

My opinion on the original post/question stands as it did in my first post in response to the OP.
Polyamory is NOT against the sexual morality precepts of the Buddha, as long as the provisos I outlined, are adhered to.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

ihrjordan wrote:
Thank you for the additional information, but that doesn't actually answer my questions.... But I doubt such accounts were documented....
The reason Mallika went to hell for a week was because she lied to king Passentiti about having "relations" with a dog....I kid you not. :shrug:
The entire story http://what-buddha-said.net/Canon/Sutta ... .story.htm
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
TheNoBSBuddhist

So.... let's get this straight....
The dog was humping her.... I can't tell you how embarrassing that is when my friend's dog does that to visitors....!

The king accused her of outrageous sexual behaviour, but he had misconstrued the situation.

She, in order to pacify him and assure him that what he had seen, he was incorrect in interpreting that way, made something up and gave him an odd excuse...

He, being dim-witted (a king? Monarch of a realm? dim-witted....?! Oh...well, ok....!) believed her made-up story....

And she was duly remorseful... and at the point of her death was duly remorseful - yet still went to a Hell-realm?

Oh well, at least she was only there for a week... barely enough time to even unpack the suitcase!

Weird story....

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

NoBSB... The dog was humping her.... I can't tell you how embarrassing that is when my friend's dog does that to visitors....!
I don't see how you arrived at that conclusion from the story excerpt provided. You cannot even tell the gender of the dog from the story provided. The dog may well have been female in which case there may not have been any "humping" at all. :o

Dogs are well known for putting their noses where they don't belong. :embarassed:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
TheNoBSBuddhist

I don't see how you arrived at that conclusion from the story excerpt provided.
Well, let's see.... this may have been a bit of a clue....
Her pet dog also
came in; as she was bending to wash her feet, the dog tried to have sex with her,
The dog may well have been female in which case there may not have been any "humping" at all.
...Actually, females do hump, it's quite common, particularly among bitches from the same litter.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/mounti ... ation-dogs