The interpretation of the 8 precepts

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Training of Sila, the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

Re: The interpretation of the 8 precepts

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:58 am

BuddhaSoup wrote:My desire is to request 8 precepts and live these day to day, in a sense the precepts that would be given to an Anagarika.

Although it may help to make a formal undertaking in front of a bhikkhu, there really isn't any need for that. You can do it yourself in front of your Buddha image.

If there's no bhikkhus near you perhaps there are some who are available on Skype or other Chat rooms if you prefer to do it that way. You could even declare your intention here if that helps.

It's the determination to train yourself that counts.
AIM WebsiteMy ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The interpretation of the 8 precepts

Postby Anagarika » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks, Bhante, for your response. I agree that so much of this commitment must come from within. Certainly, the support from you, and all on DW, as kalyana mitta is so very important. It's wonderful that all can connect electronically through this valuable forum, and tragic that we are all spread out across the world and for some, have no physical sangha or Wat to attend in person. In any case, I am fortunate to be back to my "home Wat" in Fang Thailand this September, and will ask the Abbot to receive the 8 precepts, just to undertake this formally. I would so wish to be a samanera again, but here in my city and with my vocation, it's just not feasible.
Anagarika

Previous

Return to Ethical Conduct