vipassana vs. mindfulness of breathing

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
tilted_wheel

vipassana vs. mindfulness of breathing

Post by tilted_wheel »

in the past i have been a student of zen meditation, but theravada philosophy reasonates more with me...and i learned breath meditation in zen..just the basics and figuring a lot out for myself, being aware of my mind and body as things arise and cease. my meditation seems to go a lot like its taught by thanissaro bhikku. i have attended a vipassana session (mahasi) and the only difference was following the rising and falling of my abdomen, which is basically breathing, and noting, which i already do just not thinking rising, rising, falling falling...so my question is is there really a difference, or is it just semantics? my meditation just naturally came to be like ajahn chah instead of mahasi sayadaw, but im still developing midfulness of the minds subtle movements.

metta to all
Nicro

Re: vipassana vs. mindfulness of breathing

Post by Nicro »

I find Zazen and Vipassana to be very similar. Bhante G's method of Vipassana is especially very similar.