Dipa ma

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
PeterB

Re: Dipa ma

Post by PeterB »

I think a lot of people on this Forum think too much.
It seems to me that Dipa Ma's suggestions put into practice would be of great benefit.
Particularly sticking to a practice. And not skipping days.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote:I think a lot of people on this Forum think too much.
It seems to me that Dipa Ma's suggestions put into practice would be of great benefit.
Particularly sticking to a practice. And not skipping days.
Yes. I never got to meet her, but I think she is a shining example of the vipassana tradition.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I didnt either...but from all accounts she walked the walk.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

daverupa wrote:
Sylvester wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Yes, and then there is this:

If I stood still, I sank; If I struggled, I was carried away.
Thus by neither standing still nor struggling, I crossed the flood.
SN 1 1

One of the best Pali koans!
Except it isn't a Koan - it has a detailed meaning, stated here poetically in brief. If you tried expanding a koan the way this can be expanded, you'd get the stick.
Tut, who'd imagine that the Chinese Zen masters would be so gauche as to use a stick?

It's referred to rather beautifully as the "fragrant board".