Never stop meditating!!

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Individual

Never stop meditating!!

Post by Individual »

A lot of people may have a wrong understanding of meditation (no offense! if what I say is useless, ignore it!). And this is something I've never heard before, although that might be because I don't read very much and haven't gone to any retreats.

When asked, "When should you meditate?" the Buddha said:
Furthermore, when walking, the monk discerns, 'I am walking.' When standing, he discerns, 'I am standing.' When sitting, he discerns, 'I am sitting.' When lying down, he discerns, 'I am lying down.' Or however his body is disposed, that is how he discerns it.
I've heard this interpreted this as meaning meditation can be divided into three forms:
  • Sitting meditation
  • Standing meditation (walking meditation, or meditation in standing postures)
  • Meditation while laying down
But this is not the essential meaning, as I see it.

Meditation is about discernment ALL THE TIME. Meditation is something you do ALL THE TIME, something you carry with you. Maybe that's not right. Maybe I should say instead, "It is something that carries you". Because it is not burdensome; instead it is like angels carrying you, like a cloud beneath your feet that makes things easy.

Because what is meditation? It is deep concentration which is properly focused towards enlightenment. In this sense, mindfulness is meditation, too. The concentration which acts as support for all good new kamma and avoiding new bad kamma is also meditation.

Some people misunderstand this, thinking only sitting and conscious reflection is meditation. The result is this: They sit down. If they are only beginners, they won't even be able to get calm or see anatta & anicca. If they are somewhat experienced beginners, they will sit down, developing a calm mind, seeing anatta & anicca (such as the arising and falling of the breath devoid of self). Then, when they get up, they leave their meditation on the cushion and simply go back to being the same neurotic, stupid people in suffering that they were before. So, some of these people think, "Maybe I simply need more meditation," so they meditate for longer or go on retreats or think they need a certain method or a certain teacher, but the real problem lies with the fact that they are treating meditation as something they do when they sit, and then drop the activity when the sitting is over.

A truly good meditation should have what I would call an "after-glow", a period after the meditation (it may only last a few hours or minutes, at first) in which the mind remains tranquil, focused on anatta & anicca, despite the fact that the body is no longer engaged in sitting and the mind is no longer engaged in meditation by means of volitional consciousness. In other words, good meditation is something you carry and when you keep up the practice, it carries you. This is the kind of meditation which is beneficial not just in this life, but even in future births. As insight grows, these "after-glows" become longer and longer, until you reach a point where you are always meditating. You can't NOT meditate, because it's how your mind has been trained. Your mind is always shining with the light of wisdom, and sitting meditation is only something that helps brighten it and focus it, but the light of wisdom is always there. Actually, this isn't entirely true; even in beginners the light of wisdom is there, but the light is merely so dim they can't see it.

So, I suppose, you could say: When you sit down to meditate, you should already be meditating before you even sit down. And when you stand up, don't stop meditating. Never stop meditating! By this, I don't mean "consciously keep the practice of meditation going." That's stupid and unrealistic. What I mean is something deeper than that, something which comes from the heart rather than the brain. When you finish meditating, simply never forget what exactly what your sitting meditation is focused towards: the realization of anicca & anatta, and the end of suffering, right here and now in this very life, not just when you sit down in the right environment with the right method from the right teacher, and not just in some far off imaginary future.

Meditation shouldn't just be a hobby; it should be your daily life. Every day, you are burdened with fetters and hindrances, but instead of seeing these as fetters and hindrances, you can turn them into a powerful fuel, a powerful vehicle for realization. You can see that, until now, your existence has been many lifetimes of a losing battle against Mara, but today, right now, you can make a stand and win. Like General George Washington of the early American revolutionaries, you can be on the brink of defeat, but with wisdom you can turn things around and win the war.

Don't get me wrong. Sitting meditation is very useful. Sitting meditation is like a boxer or soldier in training. By isolating yourself from everything else, creating a separate space for the purpose of perfecting one activity, it is a good way to practice, a good foundation for correct dharma. But if a boxer trains well, then performs poorly in a fight or refuses to fight, does he win? If a soldier trains well, but then performs poorly in battle or runs away at the sight of danger, can the soldier help win the war? No. In the same manner, every day, your mind has to fight fetters, it is at war with the hindrances. Sitting meditation is a good practice, but if you don't stand up and use that concentration when the sitting period is over, you achieve nothing. Your real meditation is when you use the concentration you've built up from sitting in order to overcome the hindrances. This is the true meaning of vipassana (insight meditation).
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Re: Never stop meditating!!

Post by Individual »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... uided.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When the time comes to leave meditation, remind yourself that there's a skill to leaving. In other words, you don't just jump right out. My teacher, Ajaan Fuang, once said that when most people meditate, it's as if they're climbing a ladder up to the second story of a building: step-by-step-by-step, rung-by-rung, slowly up the ladder. But as soon as they get to the second story, they jump out the window. Don't let yourself be that way. Think of how much effort went into getting yourself centered. Don't throw it away.

The Diamond Sutra
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Individual wrote:Don't get me wrong. Sitting meditation is very useful.
I sometimes think that sitting meditation is essentially a preparation for daily mindfulness.

Spiny
Individual

Post by Individual »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
Individual wrote:Don't get me wrong. Sitting meditation is very useful.
I sometimes think that sitting meditation is essentially a preparation for daily mindfulness.

Spiny
It is, if it's done in the morning.

I notice that sleep makes the mind dark and dusty. Every morning, the flame needs to be re-lit, or re-brightened. :)

The Diamond Sutra
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

Individual wrote: I notice that sleep makes the mind dark and dusty. Every morning, the flame needs to be re-lit, or re-brightened. :)
Very true. I have some days when I feel I never really properly wake up. :zzz: :jumping:

Spiny
bodom

Post by bodom »

We set up a formal meditation period in order to create a conducive environment for this release. We re- establish our mindfulness at regular intervals. We withdraw from those events which constantly stimulate the mind. We back out of all the activity that prods the emotions. We go off to a quiet place and we sit still, and it all comes bubbling out. Then it goes away. The net effect is like recharging a battery. Meditation recharges your mindfulness.
Mindfulness in Plain English By the Venerable Henepola Gunaratana

http://realization.org/page/namedoc0/mipe/mipe_8.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Individual

Post by Individual »

bodom wrote:
We set up a formal meditation period in order to create a conducive environment for this release. We re- establish our mindfulness at regular intervals. We withdraw from those events which constantly stimulate the mind. We back out of all the activity that prods the emotions. We go off to a quiet place and we sit still, and it all comes bubbling out. Then it goes away. The net effect is like recharging a battery. Meditation recharges your mindfulness.
Mindfulness in Plain English By the Venerable Henepola Gunaratana

http://realization.org/page/namedoc0/mipe/mipe_8.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
:goodpost:

The Diamond Sutra
Ben

Post by Ben »

Individual, I hope the time for your first residential retreat is fast approaching.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

:smile:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ben wrote:Individual, I hope the time for your first residential retreat is fast approaching.
kind regards

Ben
Not possible. My mother is physically disabled enough that I can't leave the house for more than a day. And she can't afford to have a helper without getting something crazy like a reverse mortgage, or throwing me out on the street.

Do you say what you do out of concern that my mind is spinning out of control with concepts and this needs subduing, or because you are impressed and think a retreat might have amazing results?

Hahaha! That's mana, right? :)
Individual wrote: Do you say what you do because (I have a "greater" self) or because (I have "lesser" self)?
WHY DOES IT MATTER?!? The suggestion is the same! No need to ask for the self to be affirmed or devalued! :)

...On second thought, it could lead to a clearer perception.

An answer?

The Diamond Sutra
Ben

Post by Ben »

Individual wrote:An answer?
Of course! Which answer would you like??

No, I made that comment because i believe it would be very beneficial for you - based not only the opening post of this thread but because of where you seem to be at and what you have been going through.
I realize of course that you are your mother's carer and i hope your situation changes whereby you can get the opportunity to leave home for an extended period without it affecting you or your mother's health and finances.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Individual seems to be a little hypomanic.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Ben

Post by Ben »

Viscid wrote:Individual seems to be a little hypomanic.
No, he's ok!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Ben wrote:
Viscid wrote:Individual seems to be a little hypomanic.
No, he's ok!
Ok, well, unusually overflowing with exuberance then. If he was obsessing over Islam, I'd be scared.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ben wrote:
Individual wrote:An answer?
Of course! Which answer would you like??
:lol:
Ben wrote: No, I made that comment because i believe it would be very beneficial for you - based not only the opening post of this thread but because of where you seem to be at and what you have been going through.
I realize of course that you are your mother's carer and i hope your situation changes whereby you can get the opportunity to leave home for an extended period without it affecting you or your mother's health and finances.
kind regards

Ben
I am not too anxious about it, because I seek to follow the path of the bodhisattva, not stream-entry. Or to put it differently I am already a bodhisattva (I was even before I was born!) and there is nothing that can undo it. You do not need to hope for anything for me (that hope will probably be a let down!), although I appreciate your concern. :)

But... Wow. My mind right now is like... Whoooooshhhhhhhhhhhhh! Hahahaha.

Can't imagine the idea of being alone for years. When I came back, I would either be a crazy person, incapable of speaking and thinking coherently, or I'd be floating around and teleporting.

The Diamond Sutra