I actually sat...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
theravada_guy

I actually sat...

Post by theravada_guy »

Greetings all,

Today is the new moon Uposatha. I woke up earlier than I usually do this morning. Everything was quiet and calm, I did my puja (with the Eight Precepts instead of Five), let one of the dogs out, was looking through one of my Dhamma books. Things were still quiet, and I kinda just looked over, grabbed my body pillow, folded it in half, sat on it and watched my breath via my abdomen. I had to readjust my posture a few times to get it to where my legs weren't so uncomfortable and I don't know how long I sat, but it was longer than I've ever sat before (I think anyway, it felt like it). I realize now I could have sat longer than I did. I felt at peace and rested when I came out of it. The mind would wander, but I just brought it back to the breath. Now I just have to get a zafu so I can start doing it more regularly. I used to think I couldn't sit because I got so uncomfortable. I realize now as long as I have something under my butt that raises me up above the legs, it's not bad. I've gotten a taste for sitting and quite frankly, I like it. This may be kind of rambled, so I apologize for that. But I just wanted to share.

With Metta
With mettā,

TG
bodom

Re: I actually sat...

Post by bodom »

Way to go! Keep at it. You will have good days sitting and you will have bad days sitting. Painful sittings and restless sittings as well as peaceful sittings. The important thing is just to keep sitting! Watch it all come and go. The rest will take care of itself.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Re: I actually sat...

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Sadhu!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com